Low-Pressure Propane in a High-Pressure Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovanlambright

Reaction score
Cross-posted to the Northern Brewer forum

I'm upgrading my brewstand by adding a second burner for heating mash and sparge water. For this, I re-purposed the burner from a cheap turkey fryer kit (from which I also got the pot I'll use for water). I was not really thinking about pressure when I bought it but I'm fairly sure it's a high-pressure burner.

The burner I already had on my stand (for the boil kettle) came off an old Camp Chef cooker and I'm fairly sure it's a low-pressure burner. I had hoped to build a manifold that would connect both burners to a single propane tank. I was planning to use the old Camp Chef regulator (i.e. the low-pressure regulator).

I anticipate losing some power from the new high-pressure burner with this rig. But I'm wondering about safety. Does running low-pressure liquid propane to a high-pressure burner pose any risk?

Thanks!

Donovan

Should be know risk. The liquid propane is the same pressure, it's the outlet of the regulator that changes. Essentially you'll have less molecules/burner tip so the flame won't be as powerful, you will still have hydrocarbons there though so it will burn. As long as the flame lights and stays lit, you should have no issue. You can test your high power burner now by switching the regulators out with the other one and see how the flame looks. I'm sure you'll be fine.

The only safety issue is if the flame doesn't stay lit and then you have hydrocarbon pouring through creating a vapor cloud.

Back