Low oxygen brewing GF grain experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
I noticed the following thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580532
They have a link in the beginning that eventually ends up with a PDF article on low oxygen brewing for Bavarian Helles styles. Perhaps an over the top position regarding effects of oxygen exposure, but does bring up some good points that are worth consideration.

I have been really focused on efficiency of late with our expensive malts and my mash process is decidedly not friendly with respect to oxygen. I think it is logical that with a millet base, extracting tannins and off flavors from the husks is not as much of an issue as with barley because millet really does not have a husk. However, oxygen could add bitterness and rob malt flavor. This article seems a little over the top but does have some recommendations that seem to be implementable without to much difficulty and could have an impact.

I have noticed that my brews have some background bitterness that is decidedly present when the beer is green. I always assumed it was my hop profile and just told myself I needed to dial in the hop additions in better. Now I am wondering if I should scrutinize my process relative to oxygen exposure.

Any thoughts or experiences?

On most issues brewing-related, people often cite experts who make claims based on... well, the fact that they are experts saying it. I find Marshall Schott's Brulosophy to be a great resource because he puts claims and expert advice to the test. I know his experiments aren't perfect due to the lack of religion of experimentation, lack of experimentation on varying beer styles (such as the helles). However, he goes about his experiments the best he can and I believe his results are pretty solid evidence of whatever he is testing. That being said, he does have an experiment in which he texts the effects of HSA. As far as HSA goes, it's effects on his beer were deemed indeterminable. It's worth checking out:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/11/18/is-hot-side-aeration-fact-or-fiction-exbeeriment-results/

That is very interesting!!! Although my normal process is not "no HSA" it is certainly closer to his no HSA test process than his over the top HSA test process. Tells me I don't have to kill myself trying to go no HSA and I should pay more attention to hop additions!

Thanks!

No problem. Sorry I can't offer more info on the effects of oxygenation of fermentation. I meant to say "lack of repetition of experimentation" btw haha

Latest posts

Back