Low Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_Ribbs

Reaction score
I'm brewing Hop Cult IPA from Midwest Supply and it calls for original gravity of 1.064 and mine measured 1.055. Why does this happen and what's the outcome going to be?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The causes would be; the kit was on the light side; somehow you failed to get everything into the pot; you added to much water, or you miss read the hydrometer (what temperature was the wort when you checked).

The outcome will be a little less alcohol in the final product.

Could be you didn't have a good mixture of water and wort when you topped off. Then you hydrometer sample would contain more water than wort giving you a false lower reading. With extract kits what it says you will wind up with for an OG is pretty close to spot on provided you transferred all from the kettle and topped up to proper measurements.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Wort was at 71 degrees. It's possible that I didn't have it mixed enough, i don't have a proper aeration tool yet I just vigorously shake the carboy once I've put it all together. Will that have a major effect of the outcome?

It's possible that I didn't have it mixed enough,

with an extract kit as long as you put in everything you were suppose to

you're good to go, it is hard to get it mixed together well

Will that have a major effect of the outcome?

more then likely not, it will be beer in the end

but keeping your fermentation temperature in line will have a big effect on the outcome

too hot is not good

all the best

S_M

Back