Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've done two brews so far. One a kit and the second one an extract w/ specialty grains. In both brews I followed the instructions and recipes. However both times I came up with a lower OG than what the recipe called for. Am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps I must compensate for something? Or just ferment longer to get a lower FG? Thanks for your advice!

On the 1 with extract and grains, are you adding points for the grains, but steeping them? For example, are you setting software for partial mash, but only steeping the grains?

How far off from the recipe target OG are you?

It could be something as simple as hydrometer calibration of the temp of your wort being too high when you take your reading.

After that, things get a little bit harder to diagnose. Maybe keep some DME on hand to boost OG if needed until you get things figured out.. I'd do it (boost OG) more to try try and retain the balance (flavor, texture/mouthfeel, etc) of the recipe rather than just trying to get the ABV up.

Todd

with extract batches, as long as you hit your volumes, you are guaranteed to hit your OG.

low measurements come from not mixing your extract and top-off water enough. it's called stratification. you're taking a reading from mostly water mix at the top, & most of the extract is at the bottom.

I stopped taking OG readings if I'm doing an extract batch. it's 100ml (¼ of a bottle) more beer at the end I get to drink!

I stopped taking OG readings if I'm doing an extract batch. it's 100ml (¼ of a bottle) more beer at the end I get to drink!

Why wouldn't you just add the OG sample wort back to the kettle so there is no waste? Or if you're collecting the sample on transfer to the carboy, just sanitize your collection/measurement vessel and then pour it into the fermentor when done.

Why wouldn't you just add the OG sample wort back to the kettle so there is no waste? Or if you're collecting the sample on transfer to the carboy, just sanitize your collection/measurement vessel and then pour it into the fermentor when done.

I was only slightly serious regarding the loss of 1/4 of a beer. I do not take OG on extract batches because I don't think it's necessary.

I'm pretty good with volumes & I know I can't gain or lose sugar from extract, so I'm extremely confident going with the OG the recipe says it will be

Latest posts

Back