Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxwitt

Reaction score
I have been extract brewing for about two years and have had great success, so I decided to graduate to all grain. My first batch, a dark lager, turned out great. I am using beersmith and the OG was a few degrees below the predicted OG. Being my first batch I wasn't upset. However my second and third, an IIPA and oatmeal stout, were about 20 degrees below. Not good. I did have to create an equipment profile because the setup I was using for my last two weren't on a default. I'm using a ten gallon cooler and ten gallon megapot 1.2. I have a few theories on why those didn't turn out as great. So I have two questions, 1. Any other thoughts on why those didn't turn out so good and 2. If you are proficient with beersmith and/or are using the same equipment, what do you have the information set to?

This is how my equipment profile is set up but I am using an older version of Beersmith. Other than that it could be your crush or you might be using too much water in your sparge or mash. Hard to guess.

Untitled.jpg

Ok thanks. I have the false bottom for the megapot and my theory on that is because the false bottom is a good inch or two off the the bottom, it raised the top of the grain mass just enough that not all of it was fully submerged under water. and another time for some reason beersmith told me only to mash for 45 minutes instead of the traditional hour. That's what I get for following directions to a T.

You're going to have to post recipe, mash temp, water/grain ratio, boil volume, pH if you tested. Pretty much all information you can provide is usefull. My go to first guess is crush. Try crushing twice, or changing the gap. I've never heard of a false bottom being the cause of inefficiency.

I've never heard of a false bottom being the cause of inefficiency.

I have heard of it a few times. Just not enough H2O being added because they didn't take into account their gap at the bottom. Could have been the false bottom being too high or the water ratios weren't right but I have heard of it happening.

Is the false bottom so high that there is some grain not suspended in water? I guess I'm not familiar with this problem, because I mash in a cooler with a manifold.

Is the false bottom so high that there is some grain not suspended in water? I guess I'm not familiar with this problem, because I mash in a cooler with a manifold.

Pretty much yes. I've never personally had the problem because I too use the cooler method but I've heard from others that it can happen.

Because the false bottom isn't the domed style that you use in a cooler, it's a flat circle with three legs that is about 2 inches above the bottom. When I'd take the lid off to check on it there was some grain that wasn't saturated. So now I'm going to have to do some calculations to correct this problem, or I can just use my cooler and cry over the wasted money of the false bottom for my megapot. And the crush is from the local homebrew shop. I live in Bend, OR and we love our home/craft brew here so I'm willing to bet the ingredients aren't the issue, it's either me or something is messed up in beersmith

Whatever the cause may be, I like to keep a couple pounds of dme around. I check gravity with a refractometer, and if I come up shy of my target, I boost with dme.

Yeah but that seems like cheating to me, I'm a purist and if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right.

Well, if by "do it right", you imply not using dme, then all you need to do is be consistent. Figure out your efficiency, and base your grain bill on that. Not really sure what isn't right about using dme, but to each his own.

I mean monks in the 17th century didn't use dme, thanks for all the help. Wish me luck on my next batch!

Back