Low OG on first Hefeweizen, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upstream

Reaction score
I just put my first Hefeweizen into the fermenter but the Original Gravity was lower than I was aiming for. It ended up at 1.043 but I was aiming for 1.052.

My guess is that the reason was probably because:
  • I changed my equipment which resulted in less evaporation than in my previous boils. Was aiming for 25 liters but got 27,5 liters into the ferementer.
  • The grain bill was 50% wheat malt so perhaps i should have expected a little bit lower efficiency than normally since I am using the Brew-In-A-Bag method. My actual efficiency was around 62%. Mash temp was also a little bit higher (+1 or 2 °C) than what I was aiming for (67 °C)
Here is the recipe:
Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hefeweizen
Brewer: Upstream
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35,0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25,00 L      
Boil Size: 31,39 L
Estimated OG: 1,052 SG
Estimated Color: 7,2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 13,0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
3,00 kg       Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC)             Grain        50,00 %       
3,00 kg       Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3,9 EBC)    Grain        50,00 %       
30,00 gm      Hallertauer [4,50 %]  (60 min)            Hops         13,0 IBU      
0,33 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 min)                Misc                       
10,00 gm      Coriander Seed (Boil 5,0 min)             Misc                       
13,21 gm      Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60,0 min)  Misc                       
14,00 gm      Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5,0 min)        Misc

To remedy the low OG I was thinking about feeding a little bit of sugar into the fermenter on day 3.

What suggestions do you guys have on this idea? Any alternatives that are perhaps better or should i just leave it alone and let this one run its course?

I'd say leave it alone. 1.043 isn't bad for a hefe. You'll just end up with a session beer. If you added more sugar, it will change the recipe from what was originally intended.

I'd say leave it alone. 1.043 isn't bad for a hefe. You'll just end up with a session beer. If you added more sugar, it will change the recipe from what was originally intended.
Does adding corn sugar, say 5% of fermentables, really change the character of the beer that much? Im not to concerned about changing the recipe a little bit as long as the beer doesn't turn out bad.

I can't imagine that beer turning out bad. Low efficiency doesn't make for bad beers, it just makes for weaker beers. I think you'll have a very enjoyable session beer when all is said and done.

And adding corn sugar would dry the beer out a little more (stress the little) and leave it a bit thinner.

I would definitely leave it alone. You may actually like the effects of your "mistake" as it will be a great summer time session beer.

I just had something similar happen with my belgian wit. Aiming for 1.052 - had real low efficiency from the mash (like 50%) since I was brewing in a bag with 4# of flaked wheat and 4# of pilsner malt. Took a sample, figured out it was low, and added some DME and honey and only got it up to 1.044. Settled with that. It attenuated to 1.007, so even at that (5% ABV), not even a session beer. Tasted great at bottling time.

Not sure what your hefeweizen will get down to, if you are concerned about ABV you can add sugar and I doubt it would change the flavor too much - might dry it out a bit...though if it attenuates well it could be dry anyway. I'd suggest not tampering or worrying about it, you'll still be pleased in the end!

I agree with the others, leave it. but maybe brew it again as soon as you can and see if you can taste the difference...If I don't hit a target when I am brewing, so what, it just makes my beer a little more different from everyone elses ya know

Just did my 2nd hefe with the only difference being BIAB compared to not and OG dropped from 1.046 to 1.038. Didn't expect that but I will also leave mine alone and see how she comes out the other side. Brew on.

Latest posts

Back