Low Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrManTX

Reaction score
This is my first AG, a American IPA, and I decided to check gravity today after 2 weeks. It's 1.010. In the beginning, I never got a bubbling airlock, but after 3 days I finally got a decent krausen so I didn't worry too much. I taped up every location that could have had a leak, but still no bubbles.. No worries. Krausen dropped, left some yeasty looking stuff floating. Kept the temp around 65 the whole time.
Should I be worried? Will the gravity continue to drop? I'm not freaking, at worst I'll have a session beer.. But, not want I was going for. But, does anyone know what I could have done wrong?
Will add ingredients, etc. in another post if that will help.
Thanks in advance!
MrManTX

It really will help to post your recipe since we'll be able to figure out what the estimated final gravity will be. Your fermentation is most likely finished, if the recipe is a typical IPA. In fact, most IPAs finish in the 1.012-1.020 range depending on how high the original gravity was.

EDIT: BJCP for Final Gravity is actually 1.010-1.018 for the American IPA style.

Gotcha.. Here's the ingredients.. I wish I had the entire recipe/instructions on my computer so I could copy/paste but it's a Austin HBS recipe printed out.
1 lb. Crystal 60L
1/4 lb Special B
10 3/4 lbs 2-Row

1 oz Columbus @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ last 15
1 oz Amarillo @ last 5

WL California Ale V 051 Yeast

I think you'll be fine, after two weeks I'm willing to bet that it's done and you won't loose anymore gravity points, but it would be helpful to know your OG and what yeast was used.

My Cascade Blonde was done in a week and it went from 1.066 to 1.014 in that short time using SafAle US-05. Most US Ale yeasts have pretty good attenuation.

Also, being your first AG batch, I assume you did extract/extract w/ specialty grains before? Extracts are notorious for having quite a bit of unfermentable sugar and will often finish higher than AG beers. Your mash temps will also have a big say in how many fermentables you'll have. Lower mash temps will give you a more fermentable wort, and a lower FG than if you mashed hotter.

OG was 1.060 using White Labs liquid California Ale V 051 yeast.
One thing I didn't do, which I'll be doing from now on, is making a starter. Live and learn.

OG was 1.060 using White Labs liquid California Ale V 051 yeast.
One thing I didn't do, which I'll be doing from now on, is making a starter. Live and learn.

Using BeerSmith, your OG is right on. At 75% efficiency with a 5.5 gallon batch, those ingredients should yield 1.059 for the OG, with a FG of 1.016. Check out BeerSmith if you get a chance, it's a great program especially for AG brewing. BTW, nice work and let us know how it tastes!

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.66 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.52 %
Bitterness: 62.0 IBU
Calories: 266 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.8 SRM

AWESOME! I guess I was a little more worried than I thought - seeing how I asked in the forum. :) Everyone's responses have definitely given me some sanity. Right now it's VERY hoppy, but I'm sure that'll settle out some over time..
Thanks again!

I'm trying to figure out what you think is incorrect? Were you expecting a higher gravity reading? The lower it goes, the more alcohol you get. you're looking for the difference in the two, really.

I am so confused.

No, the greater the difference between the original gravity and finished gravity, the higher the alcohol. :)

Higher OG means more sugars are in there to ferment. Lower FG means that more of the sugars were converted to alcohol.

Man, helps when you do the math, huh? I just took what it said on the side of the hydrometer. "Estimated Alc Content". Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it!
-MrManTX

Back