low final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsgrinder

Reaction score
I'm brewing a porter hybrid (black IPA) and my O.G. was 1.052 my F.G. after 7 days was 1.020 seams a Bit low. I used san Diego super yeast. The thing is I brewed a high gravity IPA the week before and reused the yeast on my porter hybrid. I added some nutrients cuz the yeast was stressed dew to the high gravity of the IPA that I had in the fermenter before and also added about an hour of O2. It started really quick to ferment. As a matter a fact it blew out the air lock and foamed all over the floor. So I sanitized the air lock replaced the water in the lock and stuck it back on. Looked good after the blow out, but was not as active as My IPA that was in the same fermenter and the same yeast. The OG for the IPA was 1.070 fg was 1.016. So my question Is What can I do to reach a proper final gravity of 1.009-1.014?

It's only been 7 days...give it a bit more time. If you're fermenting in the 60's, you can bring the temp up a few degrees to encourage the yeast to finish.

Make a yeast starter with some fresh yeast, and pitch the starter while it is very active, as yeast can struggle when pitched into ready fermented beer.

What temp is the fermenter at? You could try to increase it a bit, you could swirl the carboy to resuspend some of the existing yeast.

Also, if this recipe contained a lot of crystal/other specialty malts, it will be less ferment able to begin with.

I didn't see the 7 day part, you shouldn't need to repitch, there should be plenty of live yeast. If you are sure fermentation has stopped, swirl the carboy and increase the temp.

What was the recipe?

It could be related to the ingredients. A porter/black IPA sounds like it would have more unfermentables than an IPA, so it might finish higher. Like Euphist said, give it some time.

Well I needed to switch car boys cuz I'm doing a few ales at once. **** I'm sure what temp its at my house meter says the coldest it gets is 62-70 degrees but that doesn't mean that's the temp of my car boy. The ingredients are: 6lbs of pale liquid extract, 1lbs dry pale extract, 5oz black patent, 5oz chocolate, 5oz cara Munich, 4oz white wheat, 1oz fuggle hops, US goldings hops, cluster hops, and centennial hops, Irish moss and oak.

Like other have said try getting the existing yeast to wake up by warming them up (set the carboy near a heater vent) and giving them a swirl. If that fails you can try pitching a very active yeast starter made with alcohol tolerant yeast and keep the carboy warm. If that fails you are out of luck. The sugars may be unfermentable (maybe you mash temp was too high) and/or there is just too much alcohol for yeast to get going.

Thanx for everyone's help ill try to get this sucker finnished to a proper finnal gravity. My idea was on Que but its being a bit difficult as experiments often are

Back