Low effeciency help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhaufler

Reaction score
I've been AG brewing for a bout a year now
Batch sparging the whole time and getting anywhere from 52%-63% effeciency not really sure why? I wanna blame my LHBS for the grain crush but I know it is Probaly something I'm doing wrong
( btw my mash ph is 5.3 and my mash tun holds temperature very well) I just bought a fancy sparge arm and pump hoping to boost effecieny. I did one batch and was at 50% with some hiccups of course since it was my first attempt. Anything will help guys thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The single biggest factor is the crush.

Besides, if you think you're doing something wrong, then how do you expect us to be able to point to you if you didn't explain your process at all?

Maybe try to double your next batch to pinpoint if that is the problem

Ya thanks I will try double crushing
And maybe throw some rice hulls in the mash so I don't get stuck
Well I Thot batch sparging was the problem but even with the sparge arm, still no improvement

I started a similar topic in the beginners section a few days ago. "Why is my efficiency so low". The obvious thing I am doing wrong is fly sparging too fast and not hot enough. I appreciate that doesn't help you directly but there's some good info in the thread there that might help

I started a similar topic in the beginners section a few days ago. "Why is my efficiency so low". The obvious thing I am doing wrong is fly sparging too fast and not hot enough. I appreciate that doesn't help you directly but there's some good info in the thread there that might help

Thanks man I will check it out

I am willing to bet it's your crush. Take a picture of it next time and post it here to confirm.

If I was getting 52% efficiency I would have switched back to extract.

That's why I BIAB. 78-84% every time. Cheaper, easier, better.

Better because it's cheaper and easier...?

That's why I BIAB. 78-84% every time. Cheaper, easier, better.

A little to late for that I already have a bunch of equiptment
And biab wud take all the fun outa it!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399273067.752444.jpg
Went to a different store (so new mill) and double milled
It and effeciency jumped from 53% to 70!

Increase your grain/liquor ratio to over 3L/kg.
Once you get it all dialled in you will be able to increase you grain a bit to get your desired OG. Chasing efficiency can take some of the fun out of small batches, I get 60-70%, and rest easy with that.

Back