Low carbonation levels in my bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsturchio

Reaction score
I need some advice. I bottled my beer about 12 days ago placed recommended amount of sugar to each bottle and caped them. I placed them in fridge yesterday and tried one today. It's not terrible but it is a little sweet and low on carb so I'm assuming that it hasn't set long enough at room Temps from what I've read the accepted time frame seems to be 3 weeks. My question is if I remove from the fridge and bring it back to room temp will it continue to carbonate or is it going to be stuck where it's at?

This sounds like carbonation is not complete.
If its an Ale yeast you should leave your bottles for 15 days at 20ºC for the yeast be active and eat the sugar for carbonation. After 15 days you can drop the temperature to 10ºC gradually.

How warm is your room? At 70F I would recommend at least 2 weeks at room temp and then at least 2-3 days in the fridge but ideally 3+ weeks and 1 full week in the fridge. If your room temp is closer to 65F you will probably need 4-5 weeks and 1 week in the fridge to get best results.

The long wait sucks but it's the only way to get good carbonation. This is assuming there are no problems with your carbing methods. I would recommend using a bottling bucket and rack your beer on top of the priming solution if you're not doing this already.

Cheers :mug:

If it was only in the fridge for a short time then it should be fine to bring back up to room temp..you just have to try again in a week. It shouldn't have gotten so cold that it would stop the carbonation.

Next time, wait 2 weeks and then put only 1 beer in the fridge for 2-3 days then try it. If it's good, then put more in the fridge. If it's not good, wait another week and do the same..put 1 beer in the fridge for a few days and try. My brews are usually good between 2-3 weeks..most often toward the 3rd week. One of the key things is to let them sit in the fridge for a few days before drinking..it helps everything settle out nice and clear. I've read that a week is a good amount of time to chill in the fridge before drinking, but I usually go for 2-3 days minimum.

I never put more than 1 or 2 bottles in the fridge at a time until I know that it has achieved proper carbonation.

Just wait... I try to leave mine for a month or at least 3 weeks before even considering trying one. Its tough but i missed out on too much good beer by getting into them early.
Also you can try given the bottles a gentle shake after capping and again after a week or so in the bottle. Not even a shake really just flip them upside down and back. This helps distribute the sugar, especially when using carb drops, but isn't such an issue when using dextrose or regular sugar, or when bulk priming in the bottling bucket.

TL;DR - wait and give bottles a wee shake to ensure good sugar distribution

Latest posts

Back