Low Carb,Good taste,5%? Exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
Looking for an extract recipe (ale) that offers low carbs (5 or less), with a decent taste and around 4-5% abv. Anything like that exist? Not too worried about the calories, but I'm sure that will be low anyway.

The best I've done so far is a marzen. Started at 1.050, ended at 1.002. Less than 10 carbs and 6.9%. That's the lightest beer I've made.

Thanks,
Tom

Look up some English beer recipes on here. There are a lot of good brews with low starting gravities.

using rice extract for about 20-25% of your fermentables could get you closer to what you want.

use it like DME
If you normally have 5lbs DME try 4lbs/3.5lbs DME and 1lb/1.5 rice extract.
its frequently listed as an adjunct, but its really a light fermentable.
Lots of commercial light/lighter beers have a significant portion or their fermentables as rice.

The best I've done so far is a marzen. Started at 1.050, ended at 1.002. Less than 10 carbs and 6.9%. That's the lightest beer I've made.

Thanks,
Tom
Slightly off topic but how do you figure out how many carbs you ended up with?

Cool. I hope it helps them select a brew they can drink without complications. Brew on! :tank:
I had to go back & fix the link in my other post. It'll work now. I input the OG/FG from Sharie's Summer Shady,& got; 165.8 calories,18.2 carbs,ABV% 4.8,real extract 5.166.

Latest posts

Back