Low Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
So I brewed a California common two weeks ago. Been in the primary the whole time. OG was 1.045. Racked to secondary after two weeks and gravity reading is only 1.025. Has the fermentation stalled? Do I need to do anything or let it set? Was at least going to let it sit in Secondary a week.

Yeast is Wyeast 2112. Is was fermented at 68 degrees.

You should not have racked. You should have done the opposite and swirled the yeast back into suspension. The yeast probably all settled out and needed more contact time to finish the job. Does seem like a long time anyway though. What was your recipe?

8 lbs Rahr 2-row pale
1.5 lbs Briess Caramel 60

1 oz German NB 60 min
1 oz German NB 15 min
1 oz German NB 5 min
1 oz German NB 0 min

Well 16% of Caramel 60 certainly did not help. That stuff is full of non-fermentable sugars. However there's more than one factor at play. The other part is that the yeast is a bottom-fermenter and wasn't getting sufficient contact with the wort. If you can add a starter of more yeast in there, you can probably knock a few more gravity points down. Also consider warming it up to mid-70s.

Thanks dmtaylor. I have a WL 810 San Fran lager yeast pack I can add. Should I add the yeast and increase temp or just add yeast.

So I brewed a California common two weeks ago. Been in the primary the whole time. OG was 1.045. Racked to secondary after two weeks and gravity reading is only 1.025. Has the fermentation stalled? Do I need to do anything or let it set? Was at least going to let it sit in Secondary a week.

Yeast is Wyeast 2112. Is was fermented at 68 degrees.

are you using refractometer by any chance?

Yes using. Refractometer. Why won't it give a good reading with alcohol? Should I test with a hydrometer?

Huh. I never knew that. Thanks everyone for the awesome help. Will need to read up on this issue.
So if it finished at 1.011 all is good right?

As long as it's stable, I'd say you're fine. 75% attenuation is above what Wyeast says to expect for that yeast (67-71%).

Wow. I can say I learned a lot today and it as all thanks to you guys. Appreciate the help. Looks like I need to start looking at Brix now instead of SG if using the refractometer. I feel better now about the beer. I was confused because the beer had a great fermentation. Good krausen and bubbling airlock for about 3 days.

No matter what you're reading on the hydrometer, brix or otherwise, it will be inaccurate unless you use the conversion once fermentation has started.

Back