Low ABV-Tolerant Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitano

Reaction score
What commercially available yeast(s), (beer or wine), have the absolute lowest tolerance for ABV?

TIA.

Paul

It depends what you consider low alcohol tolerance? To get less attenuation you just need to get a low attenuating yeast like WLP002 and use a high temp short duration mash. Just because a yeast is a low attenuator like 002 doesn't mean it has a low alcohol tolerance (5-10% alcohol tolerance with 63-73% attenuation) (I have taken it easily to 8%ABV) .

I'm not sure any commercial yeast supplier or brewer would waste time on a yeast with less than 7% alcohol tolerance.

Never mind WRT the "short duration mash" explanation. I got it. Thanks.

Paul

I've been reading about "controlling attenuation". I think I 'get it' now. Thanks.

Paul

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Find the yeast with the lowest ABV tolerance/attenuation.

Low ABV tolerance and low attenuation are different things. Which one are you really after, and why?

I now appreciate the subtle differences between attenuation and ABV tolerance. A low ABV tolerance or a low attenuation will 'work' for me. Thanks.

Back