Low abv mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanU

Reaction score
I am wanting to create a low abv mead, probably a melomel, that my wife will like. Below is the plan I am thinking about, will it be really watery or can anyone think of any major issues with it?

1 gal batch
1.5lb clover honey (should finish at about 7.5%abv)
71b yeast +nutrient/energizer and daily degassing.

after primary I would stabilize and rack onto 2-3lbs of peaches (frozen store bought, I may puree them in my blender if that would be best). Would let this go for about 2-3 weeks and then rack to a new jug for back sweetening to taste.

I would probably do a couple batches and use different fruit.

Thanks

A friend of mine did something similar(sans peaches) with a really nice varietal honey... Lavender, maybe?

I think it is called a hydromel, and was quite watery but in a good way. It wasn't a full bodied, blow your taste buds away wine, but subtle and easy to drink.

Good luck

You may need to rack a few times with 71b, so you may want to make a larger batch than anticipated. Starting out with 1 gallon full volume and you may only end up with 3 bottles final product due to stuff left behind.

For secondary aging on fruit - if its a gallon batch, what kind of container will you use to fit it all in and not have to much headspace?

Well, even using 71b, I am using 1.5lbs of honey so I assume the fermentation would finish fairly quickly, 3 or 4 weeks should be enough. I should only need to rack twice, once on the fruit and once off the fruit to clear. I have several 1gal jugs and a couple 1/2 gallon jugs if I need them.

I could maybe start a traditional with 1.5lb honey and use that batch just for topping up. I was considering maybe doing two or three batches and using different fruits.

Back