Low ABV but full in flavor. Is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mat_890

Reaction score
Ok so I'm officially addicted to brewing. I have however ran into a slight problem, I'm drinking enough that it is impacting my life. Having to wait a few hours to drive gets annoying but I am the responsible type.

What i really need is a ale that finishes no more then 2% but is still full and flavorful. Is it possible using extracts. Common sence says no but i figured i would ask before giving up.

I did search near beer, low alcohol etc. But never found an answer.

Oh how wonderful it would be to have 3-4 beers at dinner time and still be able to drive to football or whatever after dinner. :mug:

Thanks Guys.

Ordinary Bitter are about 3.5 ABV and tasty. A mild is pretty low ABV as well. Both of these can be done with just steeping specialty grains.

If you want to cut down the ABV, just cut down on extract but use a decent amount of steeped grains for flavor.

I agree on the mild. Yum! Also agree that some steeping grains will add lots of flavor.
I think adding a couple ounces malto dextrin to a low ABV beer can help fill out the flavor and body.

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can come up with the best tasting, low alcohol beer for summer. :)

I'm pretty sure you could lower a mild down and still get the body you want if you use a bit of carafoam in the steep.

You might even do a small batch all grain due to the very small grain bill for a 5 gallon batch. Mash at 156 or 157 to keep the body high.

If you do it all extract get some dextrin malt.

Something like this. Sub in a bit of carafoam if you want. If doing extract just use 1.9 to 2.0 pounds of extract.

Details:
Name: The Jamil Show - Dark Mild - Modified lower abv
Brewer: Your Name
Size: 5.0 gallons US
Style: Mild
OG: 1.024, FG:1.006, Alc:2.4, IBU:14.5
(Alc method: by Volume; IBU method: Tinseth)

Yeast: White Labs WLP002 White Labs English Ale

Fermentables:
Name amount units pppg lov %
Chocolate Malt - Light 0.33 lb 1.034 200.0 8.1%
Crystal 120L 0.50 lb 1.033 120.0 12.3%
Crystal 60L 0.75 lb 1.034 60.0 18.4%
Pale Malt Halcyon 2.50 lb 1.038 3.0 61.3%

Hops:
Name amount units Alpha Min IBU
Goldings - E.K. 0.70 oz 4.75 60.0 14.5

Mash:
Step Temp End Ramp Min