Love TSS2 vs stc 1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherbigfoot

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with the Love controller. I have the STC-1000 and there's nothing wrong with it that a C to F conversion chart can't fix.

I have both. Pound for pound I like the stc-1000. You can't beat the price. It's cheap enough to by a spare. The Love is nice, but not 3xs the price nice.

After a while the temp conversion is automatic.

The Love 2 stage is better for controlling 2 fermentation spaces, like both sides of a side by side fridge because it takes 2 thermocouples. The stc-1000 is good for controlling heating and cooling in a single fermentation space. But I believe the Love can handle more current than the stc, so if your cooling device requires a high current or startup current you may want the Love. I've got both and they both work well, so if your needs are met by the stc-1000 you should get that, it's much cheaper.

The Love 2 stage is better for controlling 2 fermentation spaces, like both sides of a side by side fridge because it takes 2 thermocouples. The stc-1000 is good for controlling heating and cooling in a single fermentation space. But I believe the Love can handle more current than the stc, so if your cooling device requires a high current or startup current you may want the Love. I've got both and they both work well, so if your needs are met by the stc-1000 you should get that, it's much cheaper.

That's true. I believe the love can handle 16A, while the STC-1000 maxes out at 10A.

Bought the 1000 today as well as a small heater for my refrigerator should be here next week then I can build. I have been building a lot lately have not brewed since the end of September can't wait to get this done and then brew a mild and a couple of alts.

I am ordering 2 STC1000's, can run a couple relays if you need more current than 10amps, and still be cheaper than a Love. 2 thermocouples would be useful, though you could run 2 STC1000's for less money.

I realize this may be a little late to the game, but I'm doing a DS-ETC as well, using the STC-1000, and wanted to ask if any of you had ideas on the best thermocouple(s) to use with fermentation buckets/better bottles?

Obviously temp swings on the wort/beer would be slow due to heat cap of the liquid, so would it just be best to use the included probe and keep the ambient steady(ish), or monitor closer in proximity to the fermentor? Seems obvious which one is right (ambient; distance doesn't matter, but keep away from direct contact with source), but wanted to make sure. Enclosed cases will vary (1-2" rigid insul DIY, dorm fridge, chest freezer), but principle should be the same regardless, yeah?

A thing worth noting (as seen on other threads), pay attention to inductive vs resistive loads on/across the heating/cooling relays. Taking the AC/DC caveat out of the equation, Resistive (coils, pads, lights, etc) are probably safer as they typically have no start-up/inrush currents, but inductive (motors, fans, fridges/freezers, etc) FREQUENTLY have said currents, so bear that in mind when attaching the peripherals to the relays. SSR's are a good safety catch if you're uncertain (fry those instead of the STC, or use slow-blows to minimize your exposure). Using that practice, I'd imagine the STC to hold up against whatever you could throw at it. Guess I'll find out.

Back