Temp Controller for Keezer Question - Plug and Play vs Replacing Original Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateBodnar

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Sorry if this question has come up before and I missed it, feel free to drop a link if you have an old post that will save everyone else some time.

Very new to the idea of building a keezer. From researching a bit it looks like there are two options for temp controllers for converting a chest freezer to fridge temperatures:

1. A Plug and Play version like the Inkbird Itc-308

or

2. Replacing/Rewiring the existing controller with like with an STC-1000

Through my research I haven't really been able to determine a benefit of rewiring the OEM controller. Seems like rewiring is just to provide a more integrated option and there is little functionality difference. Is this correct? While I'm sure it isnt hard and I could relatively quickly figure it out, rewiring in a new controller seems like a riskier option than the plug and play version.

What are peoples thoughts on the two options?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

You're correct that functionally there's virtually no difference between plugging into an ITC-308 or bypassing the oem thermostat with an integrated STC-1000. The tiny difference would be if there's a lid light: it would not light if the ITC-308 was in an idle state, while the integrated solution would (or at least should if done right) allow the lid light to work regardless of the compressor state.

Meanwhile, the non-integrated solution has the advantage of easy replacement...

Cheers!

Back