loud noise gas escaping CO2 tank spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelogs

Reaction score
Hey,

As I turned the spigot at the CO2 tank I have been using for 3 years without problems (10 kg-ish tank), I heard this very loud noise made by pressurized gas escaping through somewhere, then immediately closed the spigot.

I am inclined to believe that it was the release valve on the regulator and my tank is OK. Used tank's spigot 2-3 more times afterwards and no more noise.

What do you guys think ?

It was loud, what do you mean quick noise ?
Gonna check next inspection date stamped on it when I get to the country side. I think it is well below expiry date.

It was loud, what do you mean quick noise ?
Gonna check next inspection date stamped on it when I get to the country side. I think it is well below expiry date.

i mean just like when you hook up a new tank, and the regulator is pressurizing?....or like loud constant hissing? you say you opened it a couple more times, without the noise?

and the nylon tank washer should be swapped every few swaps of the tank..

What about the main dial handle on the tank? I've got one that is less than a year old (for me) I think it is stamped as a 2019 and the last time I got it filled, it was kinda....as the guy who did it said. "Weird"

I myself noticed it was kinda finnicky...like going from Closed to Open, somewhere in that travel you could hear gas coming out. Not full pressure, but enough to get your attention.

I'm considering instead of trying to deal with it, I might just elect to get on the tank swapping train with the LHBS.

i mean just like when you hook up a new tank, and the regulator is pressurizing?....or like loud constant hissing? you say you opened it a couple more times, without the noise?

and the nylon tank washer should be swapped every few swaps of the tank..

it was loud, constant , uhm... overfart sound. Are we talking about the washer between tank and pressure regulator ? Never separated tank from pressure regulator in 3 years.. I am a slow drinker.

I myself noticed it was kinda finnicky...like going from Closed to Open, somewhere in that travel you could hear gas coming out. Not full pressure, but enough to get your attention.

Never caught "wind" of it. Aside from this incident, i can only hear gas hissing inside the pressure regulator or keg as I adjust things.

Are we talking about the washer between tank and pressure regulator ? Never separated tank from pressure regulator in 3 years.. I am a slow drinker.

yeah that's what i'm talking about...and if you haven't swapped your tank in three years...maybe the regulator crapped out on you...when you turn off 'the co2 tank' does the low pressure guage on the reg drop? and in your case fast?

yeah that's what i'm talking about...and if you haven't swapped your tank in three years...maybe the regulator crapped out on you...when you turn off 'the co2 tank' does the low pressure guage on the reg drop? and in your case fast?

The low pressure gauge did not drop over a couple of hours. After that couple of hours the regulator's other end got closed as well (line to keg). After another 16 - 20 hours: cider barely got any sting to it. It would come out of the keg alright through the tap and CO2 audibly replaced the extracted cider just fine. Soapy water did not reveal any leaks at the two ends of keg line which has been isolated for those 16 - 20 hours... anyway, this is perhaps the subject of another topic.

On topic: Among the various stamps I was able to read "2018/11", and i bought the cylinder in 2019. So, i don't know, I probably still have until 2023/11 ?

Back