Lots of trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg1414

Reaction score
I brewed a dipa last week, 1.085 og. My beer fermented like crazy. It's at 65 degrees now at day 9. This is my first high gravity brew and I have about a 1.5" layer of trub on bottom of carboy and about. 25" to. 5" on top. Should I rack this to secondary or is it ok? I planned on doing a two stage dry hop. First in primary after three weeks for 7 days then in secondary. I'm worried about all the gunk on top for when I dry hop. Also is that yeast on bottom to much?

Just leave it in primary. It will not hurt it. In fact many will tell you it will help. I don't secondary unless using fruit. Dry hop when you desire in primary. Then bottle or keg.

You are not ready for dry hopping until the gunk (krausen) on the top settles. Let it ferment out first. Take some SG readings to determine when the fermentation is complete.

You could do the secondary if you really want but I agree that you don't have to. If it is in flat bottom bucket/carboy you can leave it few weeks without huge impact on flavor due the autolysis.

Back