Lots of trub in hydrometer tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Can anyone definitively tell me whether or not trub can affect a gravity reading? I'm talking a lot of trub. My reading was so far off and the beer tasted great at bottling, I simply can't believe I was off by 10 points on my FG. It was a Belgian strong dark that I have brewed before and never had problems with. The hydro sample may have been 40% trub. I took it from the dregs of my bottling bucket without realizing how much trub was in there, but by the time I checked it I had already bottled the batch.

well, 40% of trub maybe can modify the reading if the hydrometer is not floating in just beer, the next time I would just throw away the trub and take another sample ( the second one is always better).

The hydrometer measures the density of the solution (ie beer), which is not affected by the amount of solids such as yeast or trub in the vessel. Think of it this way: if you out a couple of pebbles of gravel in the bottom all it would do is push the amour of beer up, but flit wouldn't change the density. So, just think of insoluble things like yeast and trub as being really small pieces of gravel.

sampling from the bottling bucket makes me think you are off ten points because you just added priming sugar.

The trub will not affect your reading unless the hydrometer was resting on it.

sampling from the bottling bucket makes me think you are off ten points because you just added priming sugar.

Priming sugar will impact your gravity, but should only be a couple points. After all, you're only adding 4-5 ounces to 5 gallons. a full pound is something like 46 points in one gallon.

Back