Lots of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I may be a sucker, or was just thinking this was fun to buy one night while having a few beers... I bought a "grab bag" of hops (make that TWO grab bags). Each came with 2 ounces each of eight types of hops. Lucky me, both bags came with the same kind of hops, so I have 4 ounces each of the following. Oh, and I bought 8 oz of chinook since they were less than a dollar a pack (but I know and like this kind at least).

- Mt. Hood (Noble?)
- Crystal (Noble?)
- EKG (English)
- Nugget (Bittering?)
- Sabro
- Idaho 7
- Azacca
- Ahtanum

Does anybody have any experience with these hops? I think the ones I noted in parens are correct styles/uses for them. What about the others? What style and how would you use these other ones?

I like IPAs, and think the last 4 are good for that, but not sure where they would be best used. Also, would the Noble's be good for a sudo-weissbier (with WB-06 dry yeast)?

Thanks in advance!

I have used Mt. Hood, East Kent Goldings, and Nuggett.

I brew ales, mostly British style.
One of my favorite recipes uses 1 oz. Nugget for the boil, 1 oz. EKG for flavor, and 1 oz. EKG for aroma. I consider it an IPA.
I've used Mt. Hood a number of times where you might use Hallertau. It's excellent. Some of these were with wheats or rye wheats.
I know nothing about any of the other hops, and I've never used 06 yeast.

Last edited:
Ha, I'll keep that in mind down the road.

I might just do a bunch of SMaSH recipies with the ones I don't know much about to check out how they taste.

Coming late to this

I have 4 ounces each of the following. Oh, and I bought 8 oz of chinook...

- Mt. Hood (Noble?)
- Crystal (Noble?)
- EKG (English)
- Nugget (Bittering?)
- Sabro
- Idaho 7
- Azacca
- Ahtanum

Does anybody have any experience with these hops? I think the ones I noted in parens are correct styles/uses for them. What about the others? What style and how would you use these other ones?

Start with the easy ones - whilst people do use Nugget for late additions, given what else you have it's best used for bittering.

EKG is my favourite and *the* hop for a classic best bitter - and you have enough to be generous with it, have some in the whirlpool and dry hop. Just English pale malt and not too much crystal, 3% is fine, maybe a whisper of chocolate malt and you're good to go.

Idaho7 is getting a lot of love over on the NEIPA threads at the moment (particularly at the end of the boil, it has a lot of "survivable" flavour compounds), and Azacca is a good supporting hop for that style but I don't think it's got enough to it to shine on its own. Sabro is a bit love-or-hate as it's such a thug, but general advice is that it's good in the hoppy styles as long as you don't use more than 25-30% in the blend.

Ahtanum is one of my favourite US hops, it's a shame that it gets overlooked (or perhaps better, overshadowed) in favour of the new kids on the block. It makes a great SMaSH, would work well with your Chinook in a WCIPA or could even go into a blend in a modern-style bitter.

As could the Crystal and Mt Hood - one of the leading commercial bitters is made with Mt Hood and Liberty. It's not quite "traditional" but it is tasty beer. Crystal is a bit punchier than Mt Hood and does get used in WCIPAs, even as a single-hop, and both of them have lots of survivables so have something to offer as a late-boil addition even in NEIPAs. But otherwise yes, they can work in any European style, from lagers to quads and hefes.

would the Noble's be good for a sudo-weissbier (with WB-06 dry yeast)?

To be honest, any hop could go in a beer with WB-06, even Galaxy and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, it completely trashes any flavour from late additions of hops. It's a funny yeast, it's not a true hefe yeast but a weird member of the saison family that's most closely related to the Duvel yeasts - if you want to make a proper hefe then Munich Classic is much the best dry yeast option.

Last edited:
Those descriptions/explanations/suggestions are very much appreciated! And I've been wanting to make an english bitter soon. I might have to try your recommendation up there.

As to the WB-06 beer, I ended up making that a week ago. I went with Mt. Hood in there. Did a late addition but based on what you said about that yeast, it might not make it's way through. I shall see in a few weeks...

Back