Lot's of Hop varieties - best recipe wins ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copyright1997

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey there -
I've been doing plenty of batches (7 or so this year), but seem to be stuck in a rut where most of the recipe's call for Cascade, Centennial, and a couple other hop varieties. I have bunches of other hop varieties I've picked up (some on sale, some just to try), so I am looking for "known good" recipe's using other hop varieties. Here's what I have in inventory:
2# Columbus
1.5# Spalt Select (German)
2# Willamette
2# Nugget
2# Galena
1# Brewers Gold
2# Cascade (but don't need recipe help on these)
1# Centennial (but don't need recipe help on these)
1# Chinook
2# Czech Saaz
1# Magnum
4 oz Apollo
4 oz Brambling Cross
4 oz Bravo
4 oz Challenger
1# EKG (have some good recipe's, but looking for more)
4 oz Falconer's Flight
4 oz Fuggle (US)
8 oz German Select
4 oz Glacier
8 oz Hallertau Mittlefruh (Germany)
4 oz Liberty
8 oz Opal (Germany)
4 oz Palisade
4 oz Phoenix
4 oz Saphir (Germany)
4 oz Sterling
4 oz Styrian Gold (Solvenia)
6 oz Simcoe (but have recipe's)
6 oz Amarillo (but have recipe's)
? oz Perle (Germany)
2 oz Mt Hood (US)
4 oz Crystal (US)

The winner (i.e. the person who submits the recipe I pick to brew in a couple of weeks) gets my everlasting thanks. :) In addition, I might be able to ship you a few bottles of the results or a couple oz of hops, etc.

I also have plenty of grains as a result of group buy's, so it doesn't have to be 100% 2-row! :)

I'd do a bunch of small batch SMaSH'es using MO for grain. That way you can really taste what each hop tastes like. I am doing that now but I do not have anywhere near as many varities as you.

do something like this for an ipa

60 min - 1 oz centennial
- 1 oz chinook
20 min - .5 oz falconers flight
10 min - 1 oz falconers flight
- .5 oz cascade
dry hop - 1.5 oz cascade
- 1.5 oz falconers flight

this is the idea, but you might need to adjust IBUs depending on your grain bill

do something like this for an ipa

60 min - 1 oz centennial
- 1 oz chinook
20 min - .5 oz falconers flight
10 min - 1 oz falconers flight
- .5 oz cascade
dry hop - 1.5 oz cascade
- 1.5 oz falconers flight

this is the idea, but you might need to adjust IBUs depending on your grain bill

Looks good, but I want recipe's w/o Centennial or Cascade. :) [Well, I could be talked into using a little, but in general trying to find recipe's that others like that don't use them.]

I'd do a bunch of small batch SMaSH'es using MO for grain. That way you can really taste what each hop tastes like. I am doing that now but I do not have anywhere near as many varities as you.

Yeah, SMaSH's are an option (and I've done a Vienna + Northern Brewer SMaSH that was excellent), but I am more looking for recipe's from people that they know they like.

Regarding hops, I picked up a lot of these on sale. Most recently from HopsShack and RiteBrew, and before that Farm House Brewing.

ok, sorry...missed that
so what about this
60 min - chinook/columbus
20 min -falconers flight/crystal
10 min falconers flight/galena
dry hop - falconers/crystal/galena

Back