Lots of CO2 released opening WLP645, a bad thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was pitching my fist step starter with WLP645, Brettanomyces claussenii and upon opening the vial there was a fairly substantial release of gas. I had it stored in my fridge at 42ºF for the last week, and the expiration date on it is for 12/09 so it is not expired.

I'm curious if this is the norm with Brett strains, I've only worked with brett in blends so far, and this will be the first all brett. Is this why they put smaller cell counts in the brett vials? I guess if thay put 100b cells of brett in a vial it would have exploded.

The cap was really deformed, and the off gassing took about 2 min before I could remove the cap. But it did have a good fresh smell like pineapples, so I think the yeast will be Okay, maybe just take some time to get going.

It sounds like it worked quite a bit in the vial. Only negative would be too much pressure killing it. As long as the starter builds I would say you are good to go.

It sounds like it worked quite a bit in the vial. Only negative would be too much pressure killing it. As long as the starter builds I would say you are good to go.

Thanks, thats kinda what I was worried about, but I look at it this morning and a got good growth over night, so it should step up well tonight to be pitched in the morning.

Back