Lost the key to our china hutch - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
We have an antique china hutch and our daughters placed the skeleton key in a location unknown to even them. Does anybody have any idea on how to find the right skeleton key for such a delima? My wife bought on she thought might fit but it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated!

If you can take the door off (you may need to open it, won't be hard just google picking that type of lock) take it to a local locksmith.

China cabinets can have some of the simplest types of skeleton keyed lock ("warded" lock). You very likely may be able to just pick the lock to open it.
Then, if you take the door to a locksmith (call around first) there are a limited number of common skeleton keys ... I would think you would be able to get a replacement.

Here are two common pick types that you can try and duplicate with some coathanger and some pliers.
Making a a few approximate sizes to try might open it easily. For very small keyways, one of those oversized paper clips might work.

regular lever picks ...
http://www.multipick-service.com/htdocs/de/werkzeug/picksets/sperrhaken/images/3370_zoom.jpg

inside
http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/images/hist/warded.jpg

A full set of lever picks for more complex warded locks ...
http://www.multipick-service.com/htdocs/de/werkzeug/picksets/sperrhaken/images/35120_zoom.jpg

One other old bit of advice ... it's said that things that are lost are often within 18 inches of where you think they are supposed to be - or in this case, maybe where your daughter thought it was last.

and for what it's worth, about 10 years ago I found that the skeleton key to the door on my grandfather clock had somehow ended up in the cold air return grate on my floor - just sayin.

uh ... I uh ... earned a merit badge in it ... yeah, that's it, a merit badge ... from my, uh, scout troop in da old naybahood ... yeah, dats right.

When I was around 13 years old I taught myself how to pick locks so that I could assist my friends in getting into their parents liquor cabinets (not warded locks but regular pin-tumbler locks).
With two finish nails, a paper clip, a hammer and a cement sidewalk to file with (by scraping) I would make a pretty passable set of tools.
And pretty popular for it .... as the old comic book ads would say: "amaze your friends and startle your enemies"

Picking locks is actually horribly simple once you get the hang of it. I can do pretty much all standard door locks and most automotive locks. That's why the best security is never a keyed lock but one of those push-button multi-number combination locks mounted on doors. And why alarm systems are such a good idea. Truth be told, I was never into it for any sort of illegal purposes whatsoever ... but just for the challenge, and still occasionally opening cars for friends who've locked their keys in the car.

uh ... I uh ... earned a merit badge in it ... yeah, that's it, a merit badge ... from my, uh, scout troop in da old naybahood ... yeah, dats right.

When I was around 13 years old I taught myself how to pick locks so that I could assist my friends in getting into their parents liquor cabinets (not warded locks but regular pin-tumbler locks).
With two finish nails, a paper clip, a hammer and a cement sidewalk to file with (by scraping) I would make a pretty passable set of tools.
And pretty popular for it .... as the old comic book ads would say: "amaze your friends and startle your enemies"

Picking locks is actually horribly simple once you get the hang of it. I can do pretty much all standard door locks and most automotive locks. That's why the best security is never a keyed lock but one of those push-button multi-number combination locks mounted on doors. And why alarm systems are such a good idea. Truth be told, I was never into it for any sort of illegal purposes whatsoever ... but just for the challenge, and still occasionally opening cars for friends who've locked their keys in the car.

Other than underage drinking... :D

Take pictures of the hutch and keyhole then go to an antique shop and see if they have a key that will open it. They can try to match things up in the shop to see if the key will work, but you may have to try a few times. We had to do that for one of my grandmothers hutches. Good luck!

275px-Claw-hammer.jpg
?

Back