. . . Lost instructions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsy_Brewer

Reaction score
I recently bought my boyfriend a home brewing kit. I grew up with a father that home brewed, and seeing how my man & I love beer, well, it just made sense. Our first Malt extract brew went off without a hitch, and put Oklahoma 6 points to shame. Moving on to A full boil, he got an Oatmeal Stout ingredient kit for his birthday. Brewing time is finally here, but we've lost the instructions. The Brand is Brewers Best, and again, its an Oatmeal stout. Has anyone around this forum ever brewed this before? (And maybe still have the instructions?) I havent had any luck looking around online, save for one document that my computer isnt equipped to open, and I'm not a tech-savvy woman. Any help would be much appreciated!

His laptop (A PC) wont open the files, and again, tech is beyond me. I'm going to attempt to download a PDF reader. . . :\

Success! (Here's hoping I didnt give his laptop a virus in the process) but the file opned, and I'm making a hard copy now. Thanks gents!

Maybe post the recipe and someone can offer some help. If it's an extract with steeping grains kit, it's pretty straightforward. We just need to figure out your hop schedule.

The short version is:

Bring 4 quarts of water to 160 degrees, and turn off heat. Add the grains in a grainbag, and stir well to thoroughly wet the grains. Check the temperature in several places, and keep the grain/water solution at 150-155 degrees for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, lift up the grain bag and pour one gallon of 170 degree water over it. It's easiest if you have the grain bag in a strainer to hold it with. Or else, dunk the grain bag in 1 gallon of 170 degree water if you don't have a strainer and then combine these liquids. Try to have about 2.5 gallons total, if your pot is big enough.

Bring the resulting liquid to a boil, and take off the heat. Add the malt extract. Stir well. Bring to a boil and add the bittering hops. Boil for 45 minutes, then add the flavor hops. Boil 15 minutes. Cool the wort to under 80 degrees (an ice bath in the sink works well) and then add to your fermenter. Add water (bottled water is preferable, unless you have water with no chlorine) to the 5 gallon mark. Stir well with a sanitized spoon, check the specific gravity, and add the yeast. Cover and airlock. Make sure everything that touches the wort after the boil is sanitized- fermenter, spoons, funnel, whatever you're using.

field or ice hockey? (And my sincerest apologies. . . the high of my tech-success caused an unfortunate lack of observance!)

It is very similar to my Newcastle Brown clone.

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes, washed (sparged) the grains with 1/2 gallon 150 degreee water, then sparged again with another 1/2 gallon water. The run-off was virtualy clear at that point.

Then the boil with hops, rest, second boil with finishing hops, cool down, and ferment.

field or ice hockey? (And my sincerest apologies. . . the high of my tech-success caused an unfortunate lack of observance!)

Ice hockey. I don't think we have field hockey around here, and right now all the fields have snow and/or ice on them anyway.

We had a nearly three-hour practice tonight. My legs are burning, my chest is burning, and my back is killing me. Boy, this IPA is GOOD tonight!

Latest posts

Back