Lost gasket inside keg of beer... trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordo_nb

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was kegging my pumpkin ale the other night and hit a bit of a snag. During my cleaning process I disassembled my keg, cleaned the parts, sanitzed them, put them back on the keg. I put some starsan in the keg, put the lid on and shook the hell out of it. Then I took the lid off, and put it in starsan while I filled the keg.

Once the keg was full, I went to grab the lid and the gasket was missing. I looked all over the kitchen for it and it was gone. My thought is that it stuck to the top of the inside of the keg when I removed the lid, then fell in. I used a sanitized spoon to try and grab it, but it wasn't stuck to the top any longer, and wasn't floating. The gasket may have some residual keg lube on it.

I decided to RDWHAHB and leave the gasket in the keg, and use a new gasket (thankfully I listened to previous advice and had extra). Do you think I'm in for any trouble on this?

No
You'll get the gasket back when you kick the keg:) Keg lube is food safe, otherwise it would not be used when kegging beer:D

Back