Lost faith in 525SS. Need alternative.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
So, my "relationship" with the four 525SS' I have on my keezer has been if-fy as of late. About six months ago I foolishly went and performed what I would have thought was typical maintenance (cleaning and replacing rings) and have since been treated to a nightmare. Sometimes they seal, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they'll let go when they haven't been used for a week or so, sometimes it's for no reason at all.

Either way when I came home one night this past week and found half of a new keg on my basement floor the answer was pretty simple. The 525's are gone.

So it begs the question as to what I should do. Go cheap with replacements and hope that Perlick pulls it together someday and starts sending out a magical parts kit? Invest in something nice and unload the 525's on eBay?

I'm interested in what others have done.

Thanks for your help.

There isn't much else, for taps. Ventmatics came back on the market, and they have sealing issues that should be fixed in a few months. Perlick is supposedly coming out with a 600 series some time this Spring.

For now, you can either take those taps apart and put them back together, maybe with some keg lube...or wait.

I have not had any problems with my perlicks but then again I haven't taken them apart either. I just run cleaner through them every couple of kegs. Maybe they can be fixed?

There isn't much else, for taps. Ventmatics came back on the market, and they have sealing issues that should be fixed in a few months. Perlick is supposedly coming out with a 600 series some time this Spring.

For now, you can either take those taps apart and put them back together, maybe with some keg lube...or wait.

No, I'm done fighting with them. I either get something from Perlick saying "this will fix it" and I hear from others that they're right-on or they're gone.

I have not had any problems with my perlicks but then again I haven't taken them apart either. I just run cleaner through them every couple of kegs. Maybe they can be fixed?

Please do a Google search for "Perlick 525 leak" and you will see a great number of people who are experiencing this issue as me.

I'm glad yours are doing great. When mine were I loved them and recommended them to many other homebrewers. Suffice to say that is no longer the case. I've invested hours trying to get them back to where they were once and way more than I should have on replacement parts hoping it would be the silver bullet. This is an issue well past "running cleaner" and hoping for the best.

Back