Lost Airlock Rubber Seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkw87

Reaction score
Alright so I just brewed up a batch and couldn't find my airlock rubber grommet for my bucket. Anyone have a household solution for this? The airlock sits down in the hole fairly snug, but I was thinking maybe put some vaseline on it to provide an actual air seal?

Any reason that wouldn't work? Any better suggestions? I'm gonna try to get a different seal tomorrow, or I 'could' transfer to glass carboy but this beer is going to have a secondary anyways and I wanted it's secondary to be in the glass carboy.

Let me know, thanks in advance.

Depending on the size of the gap between lid and airlock, I'd be tempted to put on a little Kitchen / bath caulk. As long as it's just a small gap, I'd put it on lightly so it doesn't drip in, but it should be easy to remove completely afterwards.

or just set the airlock in the hole for now and just replace the gasket when you get a new one.. i seriously doubt anything bad will result.

you could roll up some plastic wrap and put it around the airlock (not too much) and push it down. This should create a temporary air-tight seal. Also it's cleaner/easier than caulk.

So..........SWMBO found it, it must have been tangled up in my grain bag and fell on the floor underneath the cupboards. Good ideas guys, thanks.

Back