Losing CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downey26

Pig Pen Brewery
Reaction score
My bottles have been sitting for about 4 months. I opened several and they have a 1/4 of the carbonation from when I bottled them. How does a commercial Brewer keep the bottles carbonated so long? Is there a different way I should cap? How long should my bottle stay pressurized.

I'm using a bottling gun which fills the bottles from my pressurized keg. And capping the bottles with a hand capper.

They should stay carbonated indefinitely.

I use the cheap BMBF to fill bottles and a basic capper. Never have an issue with beer/cider retaining carbonation over a period of 6+months after bottling. (Not tested much longer that that but have no reason to believe changes would occur if I waited ore time)

Could be 1 of three things.

• Inadequately carbonated beer in keg
  • Losing carbonation at bottling (technique issues)
  • Losing carbonation while in the bottle (bad seal on caps/bad capping method)

1 thing you can do to help is freeze the empty bottles before you counter pressure fill. It helps keep the Co2 in the beer while you are filling and capping. Also get your beer as cold as you can 32-33* before you start filling. It will help hold the Co2 in the beer during the transfer.

But yes it should last a good long time. Years...

Cheers
Jay

That helps a lot. What do you recommend the psi to be when I bottle. Does the neck space matter? Should it be more full half way up the neck, does it matter?

Well if you are under counter pressure you are purging the bottles so space is less of an issue, ya know within reason. But yes you don't want excessive space. I counter pressure fill at about 1-2 PSI. I want SLOW transfer.

Cheers
Jay

I'm curious if I'm not letting enough co2 in when I met then.

That helps a lot. What do you recommend the psi to be when I bottle. Does the neck space matter? Should it be more full half way up the neck, does it matter?

Just enough psi to push the beer.

Cold beer.

Cold bottles

Head space just like commercial examples.

Place caps on.

Crimp on foam by lightly agitating the bottle (very lightly)

Wipe clean, label and store.

Back