Losing co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tv219

Reaction score
I set up my second keg 2 weeks ago into my kegerator. I split the gas line with a t-splitter (plastic) and clamped on each end of the gas lines. I noticed that neither beer is carbonated and I forced carbed one thinking it would be good in a couple of days.

The gas nub/ poppet/ valve on the keg i noticed is a little funny. I cant push the quick disconnect all the way day so it clicks if i tighten it with a wrench. However with it hand tightened and barely wrench i can force it on there.? any solutions.? Both kegs are not carbonating. Its set at 14psi at 41degrees, i believe they should have some carbonation, also leads me to believe co2 is escaping somewhere?

Your newly acquired keg may either have the wrong poppet install in the gas post, or it has a so-called "universal poppet" that is not quite universal enough, and needs to have its spring shortened.

This is not an uncommon occurrence. As kegs age and original parts are harder to obtain and thus pricier, many keg sellers are using these "universal poppets", and similar issues to what you're seeing are often reported.

It should not require a herculean effort to depress the gas poppet with the gas post fully tightened. You can push the poppet inside the gas quick disconnect to get a feel for how much force is available to push the post poppet down - and it's not infinite. The solution is usually to cut a turn of the poppet spring off, reassemble and test.

As for the possible leak, if you're confident in the original keg and connection to it, test the added tee and gas QD and the lid on the new keg with some soapy water mix while you leave the gas turned on and connected...

Cheers!

Ok, i cut some of that spring but now it seems that the Co2 is escaping at the top of the poppet. the quick disconnect locks down easier but the Co2 is no longer being pushed fully in. It leaks through it now. any advice?

Are you saying there is a leak when the disconnect is locked down on the post? Or there is a leak when there's no disconnect installed?

The former is never the result of a poppet problem, it's always the result of a post O-ring not sealing to the inside of the disconnect.

The latter would be the result of trimming a bit too much off the spring. Try stretching the spring a bit...

Cheers!

The problem was wen it sat down connected. However it was because I took off that o ring in the valve and forgot it fell on the floor. I placed it back on and it holds co2 again. thanks

Question though, if I set my pressure to 15, it would put that pressure on both kegs not divided right? I'm just mad it hasn't carbonated yet an find it suspicious that it wouldn't because of the spring not letting it close all the way down.?

Glad you found the o-ring.

With your gas lines connected, if you can pull the PRV on each keg and hear gas escape, then the kegs are accepting CO2, and the rest is a matter of time...

Cheers!

Found another leak. I did the soap test and found that co2 is being pushed out of the liquid post poppet?. I set the pressure to 30 and low and behold (after 15 minutes away) beer began slipping out the valve pretty steadily. any idea why? the quick disconnect is not on so figure if it is it shouldnt be a problem?

Yes, that would only be a problem with the beer QD removed.

Try "popping" the poppet: take something pointy and give the poppet a quick "pop" and see if it seats tight. I run into the same thing occasionally and have yet to not "cure" it this way...

Cheers!

Back