Looking to start brewing beer and have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolimitnick

Reaction score
I have made cider a couple of times and now I want to move on to beer. I will be using some sort of extract kit from Midwest. I like the new bud black crown and love Oktoberfest and Beck's Sapphire. I really like the roasted and caramel flavors. I can't brew a lager at this time so is there anyway to make a Oktoberfest style ale with little extra roasted and caramel flavor and a slight finish with either sapphire hops or maybe citra hops? And if I can get a suggestion on an ale kit to start as a base. This may sound like a lot for a beginner but I learn fast and I'm super picky on beer that I like. I'm all for experimenting as long as it is flavorful that way it will be drinkable. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Google oktoberFAST. I think it is an ale approximation of an Oktoberfest. Then sub out a little of the hops (mostly later hops) for citra or sapphire to your taste. Feel free to add a couple ounces of roasted malt to steep or mash. Might take a couple tries to get a recipe that really hits all of your targets.

A lot of times the extract kits will include a small amount of specialty grains that you steep in hot water to extract flavors to compliment your extract. You will see some that include Crystal Malts which can give you the caramel notes you are looking for.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the beers you listed, but starting out a pale ale kit will probably give you something with a fairly clean profile and are pretty easy and forgiving on the new brewer. Welcome to the forums and the hobby!

Beck's Sapphire is an amber ale so would an amber ale kit with a little more caramel and roasted malt flavors with a slight finish of citra or sapphire hops get me close to what I am wanting as a starter to play with and work from?

Nolimitnick said:
Beck's Sapphire is an amber ale so would an amber ale kit with a little more caramel and roasted malt flavors with a slight finish of citra or sapphire hops get me close to what I am wanting as a starter to play with and work from?

It would probably be pretty good. I was a little apprehensive to go along with your idea, because I know you wanted the Oktoberfest aspect. But remembering that you can't lager and that you were going to do an Oktoberfest-ish ale anyway, I would say yes, your idea is a good one. Use a clean fermenting yeast and make sure to keep the temps as cool as possible within the yeast's preferred range. Use of a swamp cooler is recommended (tub of cold water that you put your fermenter in).

Thanks for the thought I'm new and wanted some input from the more experienced and so would the crystal malts add the caramel flavor just fine or is there a better choice? I will just have to order my kit and extra grain and extract and try a batch and I'm working on finding a fridge to make a lagering and kegerator out of

Back