looking to make something that i can drink soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefromga2000

Reaction score
i'm getting ready to make a second batch, going to buy the stuff this weekend and cook it up. my question is pretty easy though, just looking for some opinions.

i want to make a beer that doesn't take long at all before i can drink it. what are some of the fastest ready to drink beers? i like just about all kinds of beer, so any suggestions are appreciated. thanks in advance.

amber ales are pretty quick... Wheat beers are quick to because they are best fresh and are ready as soon as they are carb'd.

Simple red ale can be ready from kettle to glass in a few weeks, although i recommend leave it in the primary for a month.

I expect most on here will disapprove, but I've made maybe 4 of my batches (mostly pale ales or IPAs) from brew to drink in less than 2 weeks. Were they optimal? Probably not. Were they good? I loved 'em! Bottom line for me was I just started home brewing and wanted to drink my own beer ASAP!

I've only made 13 batches so far, but I just made a Cascade IPA that fermented down in 5 days in primary. I bottled it on day 8 (today), and I expect it'll be carbed by Saturday night. Don't get me wrong: they're better after 3-4 weeks, but they're darn good even early on.

I think Goldiggie has a post on that recently...

Higher alcohol beers take longer to ferment and become drinkable. If you want a quick beer, try a session beer such as a mild.

Also, pitch a decent amount of yeast and aerate well to ensure that you get a healthy and vigorous fermentation.

thanks for the link. i think i'm going to try a hefweizen. wish me luck, i will let everybody know how it turns out

I believe English mild ales are ready to drink fairly quickly. I remember there was a recipe in CHarlie Papazien's book that was supposed to be ready in 10-14 days- Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale.

Low gravity and proper pitching rate are key to a fast beer, and if you keg instead of bottle it gets quicker. I've heard of an ESB being ready to drink seven days from brew day.

Back