Looking to make an amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfactory

Reaction score
My buddy (who drinks a lot of my apfelwein) picked up some ingredients at a homebrew shop he happened past about 2 hrs from me.

He told the lady at the counter that he wanted enough beer to make 10 gallons of a fat tire clone. Apparently, the woman looked up a recipe out of a book and got the ingredients for him. ...but I have only brewed beer once and feel a bit lost without some step by step directions.

I can do a partial boil on a stovetop (can't do a full 5 gallons but can boil 3).

Here are the ingredients that I have:

Hops - 1oz each of Magnum (14.6 AAU), Hallertauer (2.4), Tettnanger (3.4)

Yeast US-05

Steeping Grains - 16oz Crystal 70-80, 12oz Munich II, 8oz Victory

12 pounds of Dry Light Malt Extract

What do you guys think?

Well, I show:

OG 1.059
FG 1.015
IBU 28
SRM 8
ABV 5.7

pint-8.png

Have you made a beer that includes specialty grains?

The munich and victory malts should be mashed, but you can get by without doing that.

The way I would do it, is in two 5 gallon batches. Split the ingredients in two, and go about the brew, just like you did before (assuming you did it properly).

Did they give you any idea which of the hops is for aroma and which is for flavor? I assume that the magnum is for bittering, and presumably cptkrk did to, when he calculated the IBUs.

One problem you may have is with the yeast. One packet of dry yeast probably isn't enough for 10 gallons. If you can find another packet of US05 then use one packet per 5 gallons. If you don't have access to anymore yeast, then you can split the packet up into 2 halves, for each 5 gal batch. Just be aware that the yeast will spoil quickly, so make both batches in a row.

Does that help? I guess I don't really know what you need help with...

yes, thank you. that helps.

I haven't made any beer for for a long time...and I've only done it once. When I did make beer, it was with an extract kit from AHBS which handheld me through exactly what to do. What I have now is a a shopping bag of ingredients with no directions.

no, I do not know which hops are used for aroma/flavoring.

how do you think I should handle the specialty grains? can I simply steep them at 150 before starting the boil?

he actually did give me two packets of the US05, so that's good. definitely plan on making two batches.

Ok. Here is what I would. I entered your ingredients into Beertools and tried to adjust everything to what I know about Fat Tire.

10-B American Amber Ale

Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 193.44 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 12.93 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 5.72% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 30.9 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
.5 lb Crystal Malt 80°L
6 oz Munich Malt
4 oz Victory® Malt
6.0 lb Dry Light
.5 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

You can do the grains one of two ways. The tradition steeping way, by steeping them in water at 160* for 30min and tea-bagging them. Or you can try to do a very small mash. Put the crushed grains in a pot and add 165* water (at a ration of 1qt water to 1lb of grain) directly to them. Insert a thermometer and monitor their temp for about 1 hour. Keep them at 150-155*. Then remove the grains, and add the rest of your water and boil. Then follow the recipe as shown. Make sure you cool the wort to <80* before adding the yeast. Ferment and Enjoy!

*expresses great love, appreciation and admiration for chase*

thanks man, I'll let you know how it turns out

Back