Looking to get into kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztp

Reaction score
I just started brewing this summer and am already looking to get into kegging my batches, with the addition of a keezer in the near future. I'm currently in college so money is somewhat scarce so I was wondering if anybody had any input on where to get the necessary equipment to get set up. I have a few 1/6 barrel kegs that I plan on using, because they are much easier for me to get than the traditional ball lock or pin locks (believe me I have searched for these type of kegs in my area.) So any help on where to get the best bang for my buck would be great help. Thank you in advance.

I can't comment on Durant, OK., but I can say that a pretty decent place to buy some online is cornykeg.com. I drive to the same building they're located in about once a month for C02 refills, and they sell them to me at a discounted price. I believe they sell their refurbished ball lock corny's for $50 online, but I pick them up for $25 each. The next time I am down that way I could maybe pick one up and see how much it would cost to ship them your way. It could possibly save some money for you, compared to ordering directly from their site. If this would help I could look further into it.

Jonas

Thats very admirable of you. If its not too much of a hassle I would be very interested, depending on the shipping cost of course.

When I first started brewing my #1 problem was procuring reasonable equipment, at a reasonable price. It took a very long time to move out of that phase and I like to help out others using the knowledge I have acquired.

I will take one of my empty kegs to the ups store tomorrow (5 min. walk) and see how much they would want to ship it. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Also, hush hush now, one of the best kept secrets of google...
when looking for cheap or inexpensive equipment, including cornies, use the image search. Just type in the search bar what you would normally type and then hit image search instead. Look for any image that seems like it would belong on a retailer or wholesaler's online page and you will most likely find what you are looking for.
Example. I just used this trick to find a 15.5 and a 10 gallon corny keg. I searched forever using the Shopping and Web functions but all I came up with was spam. I typed in "cheap 10 gallon keg" into the image search and immediately located 2 seller's advertising factory seconds 10 gallon kegs at $169. Each. Never used. I haven't talked to a single human being so far who hasn't seen them for less than $250, usually $300 - $400, and I found those 2 refurb. kegs in under 5 minutes.

The next time you are googling for that hard-to-find item, use the image search.;)

Jonas

Well I really do appreciate it, and will definitely keep the image search in mind. :mug:

Keep in mind that it is a bit cumbersome to fill and drain a 1/6 barrel sanke keg compared to a corny keg. Everytime you fill/refill/drain/clean the 1/6 barrel, you are going to have to pop the steel ring out of the top and pull the entire spear. Kinda difficult to take off that steel ring, and a bit harder still to put it back on.

The other option is to fill them using a closed system and force-filling them with CO2, but you would have to ferment in a closed system to do that, so you would need to ferment in another vessel that could hold pressure, like a corny keg.

Anyway, just wasn't sure if you were aware that it is a bit of a pain to fill and refill sanke kegs, IMO. I'd rather spend $100-200 on a 2-3 keg corny system.

Well I just happen to have these kegs already, they are pretty much brand new and don't see any need to replace them since they were free. I also thought about replacing the ring with snap rings so it would be a lot easier to disassemble. Any thoughts on that?

I have talked to my local ups store, and they want upwards of $25 - $35 each to ship to Durant, so it would be more cost effective to order them yourself from an online dealer. It appears that they are currently sold out, but morebeer.com has some of the best kegs at some of the best prices. And just something that I've learned using different kegs, when purchasing Ball Locks always aim to purchase the 'Pepsi' style kegs. The pepsi kegs have the molded rubber skirt and thick molded rubber handles up top. They are much more ergonomic and they lift easier when full, as well. I've not used the Sanke kegs personally but I have seen them used, and they look to be a real pain. I will have to try on for myself someday, but for now the ball locks work like a charm.

Jonas

I use 1/'6 and 1/2 kegs when I am going to use them with commercial taps at a party or wedding . just rinse them out some oxyclean with a good soak they clean right up.I sanitize by boiling about a gallon of water in them on the stand for 15 minutes empty and fill with my beer . I also have 5 pub corny kegs that use sanky taps . Its a little more work but not bad .

I did however just buy a 10 gallon Spartenburg corny for 20 bucks:mug: so deals are out there

Well I really do appreciate you checking with your UPS store for me, that was very nice of you. Its great to be a part of community where others are willing to help complete strangers out.:mug:

And congrats on that 10 gallon keg, what a steal!

Back