Looking to do something with Nottingham...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurean

Reaction score
I'm still doing extracts for now. Sometimes I buy a BB kit, sometimes I use a recipe. I usually use a liquid yeast and now have a few packs of Nottingham laying around. My first two brews were with Nottingham and they both had a flavor in the background I did not like. At the time I had no way to keep my temperatures low and I think this may have been the cause (they both got up around 76-78f.
Now I'd like to give Notty a second chance.

Any suggestions on what styles/recipes are good with Nottingham?

I did a Cream of Three Crops, you can find the recipe on HBT. I used Notty @ approx 61-62F and the yeast was a good performer and very neutral in this beer. If I was to brew it again I'd reduce the corn and either up the rice or 2 row amounts to fit my tastes.

Make sure you have the current vacuum package yeast as the older packages had some issues in the last batches released.

I'm still doing extracts for now. Sometimes I buy a BB kit, sometimes I use a recipe. I usually use a liquid yeast and now have a few packs of Nottingham laying around. My first two brews were with Nottingham and they both had a flavor in the background I did not like. At the time I had no way to keep my temperatures low and I think this may have been the cause (they both got up around 76-78f.
Now I'd like to give Notty a second chance.

Any suggestions on what styles/recipes are good with Nottingham?

What style do you like? I have brewed pretty much everything except belgians with that yeast with success. A *MUST* for me though, is ferment it below 62F if possible.

Notty is a very clean, neutral yeast. I like the high attenuation of US-05 in my APA & IPA recipes, but for some of the mid-gravity beers I've made where I don't want them bone-dry, I like Nottingham. Blond ale, brown ale, probably a fair number of stouts. And it's not *bad* at all in an APA or IPA, it'll ferment them nicely and cleanly.

I doubt I've ever fermented it above 64, though. Keep the temps down, and it'll be a great neutral yeast.

I have experienced a very distinct flavor from brewing at high temps with nottingham. Keep it cooler and you'll have better results.

Thanks. Yeah whatever I do, I will keep the temps down. I'd like to do something English. I really like Hobgoblin, but I am not sure what style of ale that is. I don't like anything nutty like Newcastle.

Back