Looking to add Blueberry flavor to a Cream Ale... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Attempting a 12 Gallon batch of Blueberry Cream Ale this weekend.
I plan to use a base malt of 2-Row - 70% and Flaked Corn - 20%
I will be using Cascade Hops and Lager Yeast.

I want to add a Blueberry flavor to the beer but still deciding on how to add.
I would rather not change the color too much - I prefer to make a golden cream ale with blueberru flavor than a amber coloered beer.
Will frozen blueberries change the color? Will extract change the color?

I keep hearing extract can cause off or "medicinal" flavors. I dont want that.

Im not looking for a blueberry beer but an easy drinking cream ale that has some blueberry flavor.

Any ideas on how to get this flavor into my brew?

Thanks.

Adding frozen blueberries will change the color for sure. Extract should not change the color unless they added dye.

I can't comment on what the best extract would be as I haven't tried any. Fresh/frozen fruit can be a hit or miss. I've made a blueberry beer that was ok but really shined after 3-4 months in the bottle. Sometimes berries will impart more tart than fruitiness. That's where extract can have a real advantage, you know what you're getting.

I think extract is your only option if you don't want to change the color (but most of those have coloring added).

If not worried about color, I would just soak frozen blueberries in a small amount of blueberry schnapps and dump it in.

There is a nice puree out there that reviewers have said does an excellent job but having a hard time justifying the price. $33 + shipping which they say would be enough for 2 5 gallon batches. I dont want a tart taste the the beer just a slight blueberry taste. Are there any extracts out there which wont impart a medicinal or artificial/fake taste? ANy recommendations?

I’ve never tried them but Amorreti seems to be referenced all the time as a high end flavor extract. You’ll pay for it though...

https://amoretti.com/products/blueberry-extract-ws?variant=6347787534368
I’ve only ever used flavor extract once, strawberry in an American Wheat. It was one of those cheap bottles from the homebrew shop and it was terribly artificial. My advice is to stay away from the cheap candy chemical flavored extracts.

Yeah those are the ones I was looking at. I think $30 for 2 oz is ridiculous tho - then tack on another $10 for shipping. Crazy. I might splurge for this tho - 2 bottles of this plus shipping is $35 Natural Blueberry Artisan Flavor

The left is 7 pounds of blueberries pureed. There will be no way not to change color should you go with actually berries.

Attachments

• 20220406_070359.jpg
    20220406_070359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I use frozen blueberries every year as well as fresh for a Belgian blueberry ale. Usually around 3 quarts in the secondary for a few weeks. It certainly does color the brew a lot. I have no experience with extract

Back