Looking into the SYL23X2P

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
I currently use a Sestos PID-controller. Works flawlessly, but I'm after a PID where I can program my steps, the SYL2352P (the one for SSR) look like a great investment because of its functions. However, I have a few questions, which I maybe have answered myself, but I'd like some confirmation. I've read the manual, but there's quite some info there so I'd just want to be sure.

I start my brewery on a timer. I want to be able to get down to my basement brewery and meet a mash tun which is at strike temp, even If I oversleep or if I'm just plain lazy to get down there. This means that I'd want to be able to prog it so it will start heating when it gets power from my timer, and stop at mash temp and keep it there, So when I get my ass down there I can start a mash program after I dough in. I guess this is doable without any hassle, am I right?

Ramps. This is where I think it gets sweet.

Now I just ramp with 100% power in my HERMS. But as far as I've understood the SYl_manual, i can program it to "take it's time" on the ramps, and also, instead of starting a new step in the programme at exactly x degrees, I can program it with a deviation, so the next step will be started at x degrees minus 0.5 degrees, for instance.

If this is true, then it's a great function, because in my HERMS setup, when I ramp with 100% effect, I ramp with about 1.25-1.5C /min, UNTIL I'm close to SV, then the element is not at 100% anymore, and the last few degrees takes five times longer than during 100% on the element. So I have to sit there and decide when I want to start the timer for the next step.. So If I'm "close enough" to a set temperature, the next step timer will start on the SYL, am i right?

Any input on this will be appreciated, this is pr now the last investment I feel I need to do so I can replicate my wort production even better.

You might want to look into the Auber EZBoil DSPR310. It uses a different algorithm than PID's and seems to give more responsive control with less hassle. I don't know if you can start it from a timer tho.

Edit: You could put a timer relay in the control line from the PID/EZBoil to the SSR. Let the controller run at full blast while disconnected from the SSR until the timer says go.

Brew on :mug:

You might want to look into the Auber EZBoil DSPR310. It uses a different algorithm than PID's and seems to give more responsive control with less hassle. I don't know if you can start it from a timer tho.

Edit: You could put a timer relay in the control line from the PID/EZBoil to the SSR. Let the controller run at full blast while disconnected from the SSR until the timer says go.

Brew on :mug:

Awesome, thanks. Then I must ask if anyone has experience with the EZBoil?

Edit. Oh well I found the other thread but not much info

Back