Looking good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for what, without specifics it's hard to say? What was you're expected FG? Looks like you're sitting at 1.006?

I believe it was suppose to be like 1.014. Making a Saison with Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Only been in the fermenter for 6 days. Started around 1.060.

So what are you trying to find an answer to? Yeah, the color looks good but without specifics you're not going to get answers you are looking for.

Looks good for what? Are you asking if it is done and you should be bottling right now, you aren't being very specific....because if you are then no. Yeast need time to clean up after themselves from primary fermentation. Let it sit until stable gravity has been reached, meaning the SG hasn't changed 3 days from your last reading, then let it sit some more and condition a bit. If all is good bottle it at 2 weeks, but at 10 days even it is still young.

I plan on waiting another 3 weeks to bottle. I'd say 1.060 down to 1.006 is good.

TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

I believe it was suppose to be like 1.014. Making a Saison with Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Only been in the fermenter for 6 days. Started around 1.060.

If this was supposed to finish at 1.014 and you are sitting at 1.004 - 1.006 after 6 days then I would say it really doesn't look good. You can probably expect another point or two drop over the next two weeks. Your beer is going to be much dryer than expected.
If your "Looking Good" thoughts are is it finished then probably not. Six days could be enough time for active fermentation to have completed but as stated above you could very easily drop another point or two.
If your "Looking Good" thoughts are Did I make beer?, then he77 yeah. You made beer. 7.3% to 7.5% ABV
This beer will be very dry.

If this was supposed to finish at 1.014 and you are sitting at 1.004 - 1.006 after 6 days then I would say it really doesn't look good. You can probably expect another point or two drop over the next two weeks. Your beer is going to be much dryer than expected.

If your "Looking Good" thoughts are is it finished then probably not. Six days could be enough time for active fermentation to have completed but as stated above you could very easily drop another point or two.

If your "Looking Good" thoughts are Did I make beer?, then he77 yeah. You made beer. 7.3% to 7.5% ABV

Well, he said it was a saison so the FG predictions for those yeasts are usually pretty far off. 1.006 sounds about right.

Well, he said it was a saison so the FG predictions for those yeasts are usually pretty far off. 1.006 sounds about right.

I agree with tagz. Brew software always way underestimates FG for saison yeasts. Without seeing the recipe I am guessing that is about right for Belle Saison. I usually end up even lower but I do mash at a low temp and sometimes add a little sugar to my saisons.

The beer is supposed to be a saison, so it obviously should be pretty dry, the BJCP guidelines say that a saison should finish between 1.002-1.012. So with that in mind, I'd say it does look good.

The estimated FG of 1.014 is most certainly given by some recipe design software, which always give the results based on the data they are given. The apparent attenuation in the yeast-data is set to 75-76%, when with Danstar Belle Saison it really should be somewhere 80-85%...

I did a saison today with the same yeast, interesting to see how low it finishes

Thanks for the responses. So, it sounds like mblanks has no clue what he's talking about . . .

Guess it looks good.

Thanks for the responses. So, it sounds like mblanks has no clue what he's talking about . . .

Guess it looks good.

OK... I'll settle this. YES, IT LOOKS GOOD!! As someone else said, when your FG is stable over a couple days, you can package. Don't simply go by a pre-set time frame. And if everything else in your process went well, you'll have good beer. Congrats! Let us know how it turns out.

Guess it looks good.

My comments are strictly based on the information provided. Expected fg 1.014 isnt dry. 1.004 is.
**** in **** out. Please excuse my lack of understanding a question with so little forthcoming information. I'll bow out now as to not get hammered over TRYING to help!
Enjoy your beer.

Guess it looks good.

My comments are strictly based on the information provided. Expected fg 1.014 isnt dry. 1.004 is.
**** in **** out. Please excuse my lack of understanding a question with so little forthcoming information. I'll bow out now as to not get hammered over TRYING to help!
Enjoy your beer

Enjoy your beer.

The information was that it was a saison using Belle Saison yeast. So it is almost impossible to finish at 1.014. If you have ever brewed a saison or used this yeast, then you would understand that 1.014 is totally a false expectation. Not a lack of information, just a lack of understanding.

This is getting a little too serious... I think some people are trying to make a point that the OP made an almost completely useless post, with no information besides a photo, looking for an answer to questions that weren't even asked.

The information was that it was a saison using Belle Saison yeast. So it is almost impossible to finish at 1.014. If you have ever brewed a saison or used this yeast, then you would understand that 1.014 is totally a false expectation. Not a lack of information, just a lack of understanding.

And if you had read my response saying:
If this was supposed to finish at 1.014 and you are sitting at 1.004 - 1.006 after 6 days then I would say it really doesn't look good.
then there wouldn't be any discussion. I was merely trying offer input based only on the information provided. Saison yeast or not.
OP, please accept my apologies for having tried to assist. I'm done.

Latest posts

Back