looking for thoughts on adding brett to this base beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
posted this on the BBB, thought I'd post here too to gauge the variance in responses.

Not sure what, ( if any), style this ale falls under, but then again, who cares?

So yesterday I made this:

5glns

OG-1.070

IBU's- 44

SRM-9

90 min boil

WL-530

8#'s pils

2#'s munich 10l

1# flaked rye

1# flaked barley

1# rye malt

8oz's aromatic

8oz's acidulated

6oz's sucrose

60 min - 1oz Brewers Gold @ 9.9AA

15 min - 1/2 Bramling Cross @ 6.3AA

5 min - 1/2 Bramling Cross @ 6.3AA

mashed higher than I usually do at 152 for 90

split batch sparge 158 for 20 and 10min's respectively.

Curious to get some input on adding brett to this once it's down around 1.020. I'm fermenting at room temps, (65ish-f), but can apply a heating pad if need be.

My concern is that the IBU's are a bit high for a beer with brett, but the fact that I mashed a tad higher is encouraging me to go ahead and pitch some.

Has anyone had experience adding brett in this manner to a relatively bitter beer?

Also curious to hear what type of brett folks think might go well with this base, if any.

I think it would be fine. Victory used to make Wild Devil (Hop Devil with Brett) and I was pissed when they quit making it....

I'm guessing they used Lambicus or Brux. Read up on the different brett profiles and go for it. Claussenii is a mild brett strain for the most part if you're worried. Mostly fruity notes IMO.

thanks! I live in the philly area and know someone who had something to do w/ Wild Devil....

From what I heard through the grapevine, it started off as an accidentally infected batch of Hop Devil and the brewery didn't want to lose the investment and released as though it was intentionally infected.

I'm leaning towards brett c. I'm not really looking for the long-term acetic acid production, just the initial fruitiness it brings to the brew. It will probably be consumed long before any aging has its way with it.

Back