Looking for the beer bible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelob

Reaction score
I have been brewing about a year. Started with kits and moved on to recipes so im no rookie but still have alot of questions and alot more to learn. this site have helped me alot.Im looking for a book thats practical and not so technical. if that makes sense.thanks

But if you're LITERALLY looking for the Brewmaster's Bible...here it is. ;)

the-brewmasters-bible-12882843.jpeg

KABOOOM!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
not having experience with the others, i agree with homebrewtastic. the complete joy of homebrewing breaks it down into skills for the beginner, intermediate, and expert making it great for all skill levels.

As someone who has read the first suggestion above, and is currently reading the second, I can attest to their quality.

However, if you've already got a year or so of brewing under your belt, How to Brew might be a slightly better option than the Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

Papazian is easy to digest, with enough substance to brew good beer. Palmer takes more work and offers more. For most new brewers I'd suggest Papazian. Those who wish will ultimately reach out for more and find Palmer. The richest resource I've found, though, is Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer". Believe me, it's not just for lager brewing.

Okay as per the first three replies I don't think that anyone should be allowed to post a book without an onomonopia.

I checked out all the brewstrong episodes ........I know its not a book but I feel like I learned alot more doing that then reading the few books that I have

#blam#

Okay as per the first three replies I don't think that anyone should be allowed to post a book without an onomonopia.

Wow, learned a new word on HBT.

All the aforementioned are must reads, along with.....

1) Brewing Classic Styles - Zainasheff/Palmer

2) Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation - White/Zainasheff

And if you enjoy the Trappist beers...

3) Brew Like a Monk - Hieronymus

Apologize if these were already mentioned.

But if you're LITERALLY looking for the Brewmaster's Bible...here it is. ;)

the-brewmasters-bible-12882843.jpeg

KABOOOM!!!!

I read this book more than the bible!! i dont actually care about the holy bible but this book is hard to put down

Last edited by a moderator:
for Intro level material I would recommended
How to Brew - Palmer
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing - Papazian

Once Done with those books these will help you understand the brewing process on a deeper level.
Designing Great Beers - Daniels
Yeast - Zainasheff/White
Brewing classic styles Zainasheff/Palmer

Books I have in my brewing library that I have really enjoyed and learned from
Radical Brewing - Mosher
Brew like a monk - Hieronymus
Brewing with Wheat - Hieronymus

Good recipe books
Clone Brews - Szamatulski
Beer Captured - Szamatulski

LOL....I actually have that book, so when I saw the thread I did think he was literally looking for a copy of that book.

That's what I thought as well and I've got the same book. Great read with lots of great recipes too.

You can read JP's book How to Brew online for free, Don't buy it.

Or get the updated version and support the author if you can afford it. It's a very good reference to have, even if it doesn't include the latest processes like BIAB. I no longer recommend Papazian's book. A recipe that states "1/2 lb Crystal malt" with "ale yeast" is pretty 1970s.

for Intro level material I would recommended
How to Brew - Palmer
Designing Great Beers - Daniels
Brewing classic styles Zainasheff/Palmer

These are the big 3 for me, along with Brew like a Monk if you want to do Belgians (Designing Great Beers inexplicably omits Belgian styles).

You can read an older version of How to Brew online, but it's worth buying for the more up-to-date, accurate newer version (as well as to support Palmer). It's a better book for beginners than Papazian, IMO; both are good, and Papazian's historically interesting. But Charlie's a little more about the Zen/Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew philosophy and not quite as well organized for really learning exactly what you're doing from the start. Both are good options, though.

I must have seven different brewing books but the one I like the best is Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.

Brew Like a Monk is the best beer book I've read. I wouldn't call it a "brewing" book, per se, and certainly not a "brewing bible".

I know that Papazian is a old school beer god. But I just started brewing a few months ago, bought his and Palmers book. For a noob, How to Brew has everything you need. After reading that I had little use for Complete Joy.

For those saying to read the free version online, $12 version has newer information. Probably also the cheapest homebrew accessory you'll ever buy but get the most use out of.

Latest posts

Back