Looking for suggestion on a good hop to grow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoogles

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've read that when you grow your own hops, the whole leaves that you get are better for dry hopping and flavor additives rather than bitterness. I guess because it's hard to know exactly how bitter homegrown hops will be? Anyway, I'm just looking for a good versatile hop to grow. I love super hoppy IPA's and really like the citrusy, grapefruity, pine type hops... Like SV Torpedo! Any suggestions? Thanks

Jump a fence and dig up a Citra rhizome... humm... dig one for me wile you at it!
But really; choose something you like to use for aroma (that isn't a proprietary plant). If you don't feel the need to know your exact IBU's you can grow a high AA hop too (I do). Or start with something that's works for both. I started with Sterling for that reason. Just choose a hop you like, or maybe 5 if you have space. Don't worry about it, just get something in the ground.

if you're going to pick only 1, i'd recommend centennial - very popular with IPAs, fairly high AA - higher than cascade, another classic for american IPAs. both varieties are good solid growers, unlike some more fragile european varieties.

I grow 9 different varieties at the moment and might grow more next year. But I agree, if you want a "noble" variety for aroma or even mild bittering, then Hallertau is a good option. Fairly easy to grow. But if you want 1 general plant then I would go with Centennial due to flavor and for bittering ability and high AA content.

beerloaf

I'm doing chinook, cascade, centennial, sterling, and an unknown (possibly Yugoslavian variety). The 3 C'S are 2nd year and have grown absolutely nuts already 4+ ft. The other two are first years and have only sprouted. IMO good plants start from the ground up, work on a good soil base and a regular fungus/insect spraying regime and you'll be golden. I like to use triple action plus II for this once a week unless a hard rain washes it off. Once the burs come on i stop all spraying and hit twice a week with a liquid fertilizer (20-6-22). I guess what im trying to say is make sure you have a routine and stick with it, that makes things much easier on you in the long run.

Back