Looking for something new, IPA ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarke

Reaction score
Look for a new hop combination for an American IPA…
Quantity & minutes

Grain bill
10# 2row
4oz C-120
US-05

Any Suggestions?

Have you ever tried making a Red IPA? A great commercial example is Lakefront brewery (WI) Fixed Gear. I did NBs clone kit for this and it is quite good!

Another thing we tried is single-hop IPAs, so you can really get a feel for the distinct flavors of diff hops. We used Cascade, and same out well.

Also used Millenium Hops for a batch, after buying a pound on sale at LHBS. Also a nice flavor.

Ive heard of some ppl using Citra and adding apricot juice.

Hope that helps!

I have done, lemon, lime and orange peel, never grapefruit, I think Shiner Red Bird uses grapefruit and it pretty good.

Red IPA no but I have had Summit Red IPA and yes, this is a good idea, I really like that one.

SMaSH is pretty much all I make, well not true SMaSH but usually only one hop or two of close similarity, I am pretty bored with it.

I just want to see what combinations other brewers like to do.

I've used fresh ginger root in a slightly hopped APA that turned out really nice. Took 3rd in a competition.

Maybe play around with some addition times in place of hop types. I've been playing around with the idea of HUGE 15 or 10 minute additions, but no bittering additions.

Timing, yes, that will be a different post, I am honestly looking for combinations.

The ginger idea is a good one, I would like to make a ginger ale sometime, one of my friends makes an apple cider using ginger and it is amazing

My favorite combo is amarillo/simcoe. I LOVE that combo, and do 1 oz of amarillo at 15 and 5 minutes, with .5 ounce of simcoe at the same time. Great flavor.

I am also really loving the traditional "C" hops- chinook, centennial, cascade, in various amounts at varying times. Those are awesome together.

have you looked at the AIPA recipe in the recipe forum?

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

My favorite combo is amarillo/simcoe. I LOVE that combo, and do 1 oz of amarillo at 15 and 5 minutes, with .5 ounce of simcoe at the same time. Great flavor.

I am also really loving the traditional "C" hops- chinook, centennial, cascade, in various amounts at varying times. Those are awesome together.

I agree with everything Yooper says here. All my favorite hops, although you forgot Columbus!

I second Yooper's comment. My favorite combo is Chinook/Simcoe/Amarillo. I just use the Chinook for bittering, but you could substitute almost any high alpha hop. I love the Simcoe/Amarillo combo for late additions and dry hopping. They work really well together. In fact, Stone and Dogfish Head use this combo in some of their best IPAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

have you looked at the AIPA recipe in the recipe forum?

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

I used that hop recipe and schedule made a hoppy brown ale. It turned out great!

Also, if you're thinking of a red ipa, Can you Brew it has a clone recipe of Oscar Blues G'Knight Imperial Red ipa. it is spot on as far as color and taste. I highly recommend it for a red ipa.

I recently did a parti-gyle triple IPA followed by a standard. No bittering hops, only whirlpool. Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Summit. Fantastic. After the results I don't think I'll be adding bittering hops for some time.

I like amarillo/simcoe . I also just made an IPA with a Mosaic/Azacca combo and it turned out great. It was very citrusy, almost mango-like. I will definitely be using that combo again. I've taken to using hop extract for bittering on my IPAs as well.

Thanks for all the ideas, seems Simcoe and Amarillo is the winning combination. I have never tried Simcoe.

As far as looking thru the recipes, yes, I look at those all the time, but talking about it is more fun.

I am now very interested in making a Red IPA

My last "IRA" was a huge hit and I'm going to make it again soon.

This is for 10.5 gallons (two kegs) but you can cut it in half easily if you want 5 gallons. It had such a pretty ruby color, and with the hopsbursting, it had this great hops nose and aroma and flavor.

18 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess)
2 lbs Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min 14.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 19.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min 13.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min 4.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Leaf [10.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

WLP001 for yeast
OG 1.060
FG 1.012
IBUs (guessed, due to whirlpool hops): 60