Looking for some quick advice on an (almost) all Munich mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I'm making a Munich Dunkel tonight, will be my 6th Lager attempt. I'm using the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, just 12 lbs, 3 oz of light Munich and 6 oz of Carafe special II. Trying to decide on a mash schedule, BCS says mash at 154 and since they didn't say otherwise, they say to assume60 minutes single step.

I have a single tier, 3 vessel, gas fired HERMS system and can do step mashes. I'm trying to decide if a protein rest is a good idea (~122) and then up to 154 or if just a single infusion at 154 is best.

Been doing a little research and it looks like most people say no need for step mash with Munich so decided to keep it simple. 154 for 60 mins, heat to mashout, fly sparge. Using the magic 5.2 buffer as always...

Probably because it's already well modified and you'll end up losing body and head retention at 122F.... but I'm just guessing :D

131 on the other hand is a viable option if you're looking to step mash

Been doing a little research and it looks like most people say no need for step mash with Munich so decided to keep it simple. 154 for 60 mins, heat to mashout, fly sparge. Using the magic 5.2 buffer as always...

I brewed a Munich Lager with a 153 single infusion mash. 80% Munich, 16% Pilsen. Turned out fine. I think Munich has enough diastatic power to convert itself and I think you should be fine with an hour. I have not been able to convince myself to do anything other than single infusion (mainly because it takes more time and effort) and my beers have turned out OK. Now simply adding the magic 5.2 stuff and calling it good... if it works for you, then stick with it I guess.

IIRC, you want the overall diastatic power of the mash to be 40 or more, averaging the DP/pound for each malt. You'll need to check the DP of your maltster's malt. For example, Briess 10L munich has a DP of 40, so 100% will self-convert. Briess 20L munich has a DP of 20, so it will not self convert. And if you mix the two, the DP will drop below 40, so adding pilsner malt (Briess' is DP of 140) will help with conversion.

IIRC, you want the overall diastatic power of the mash to be 40 or more, averaging the DP/pound for each malt. You'll need to check the DP of your maltster's malt. For example, Briess 10L munich has a DP of 40, so 100% will self-convert. Briess 20L munich has a DP of 20, so it will not self convert. And if you mix the two, the DP will drop below 40, so adding pilsner malt (Briess' is DP of 140) will help with conversion.

Good point. OP is using Light Munich so I would assume it is 6-9L and will have plenty of diastatic power.

well i went with a single step at 154 and hit the numbers almost dead on, about 70% efficiency.

Back