Looking for Some Feedback- Hop Schedule and Yeasties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleBeardyBeer

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Doing one of my first (maybe the third?) AG BIAB brew, no kit. The grain bill is set, as its already milled into a single bag. The yeast is set also, pulling out from under a mild on brew day, washing and pitching. The hop schedule is open for debate. I guess its somewhere on the north end of an APA with the current layout. This is my first time trying this combination of hops, read about someone else enjoying the mix of flavors. Kind of a spicy/earthy/citrus thing. Here's the recipe (with thoughts inserted parenthetically).

10# 2-row
1# Munich
0.5# Caramel 10L
(maybe a bit of corn sugar to thin it out? 1# .5#?)

Inexpertly mashed IAB @ 148-150 (worried about attenuation with this yeast so aiming a bit low)
Half-assed batch sparge of ~3 gallons @ 170 (grain bag in a strainer thing over the brew pot, pour over slowly, give her a light squeeze)

1oz Galena @ 60 (maybe .75oz?)
.5oz Willamette @ 15
.5oz Ahtanum @ 15
1oz Willamette @ 0
1oz Ahtanum @ 0

Dry-hop in secondary- 7days
1oz Willamette Whole Cone
1oz Ahtanum Whole Cone
(thought whole cone would be easier to rack around, going in a fine nylon bag with a couple o' marbles)

Yeast- 1968 London ESB- (currently a lovely yeast cake under a recently brewed mild, thought about pitching directly on the cake, looked around the interwebz and that seemed like a bad idea. Thought I could wash and then over-pitch a bit to limit ester production? Also seems to be mixed info on that... advice here?)

Because of ambient temps will have to ferment around 66-67. Best I can do with the window unit in my bedroom (sleep with the carboy next to the bed, wife gives me a look when I give it a kiss goodnight)

Whatdaya think? Especially concerned about hop balance, and pitching options. Thanks for sticking with me to the end of that blathering, and for any advice you can offer! :mug:

UncleB

Im going to say there is no need to wash the yeast if your aren't storing it, less risk of contamination and the minimal additions of trub and dead yeast shouldn't prove too detrimental (if at all actually). Ive never done it though so it could be open to debate.

Mash temp is also fine, that's almost prime beta amylase territory and after the sparge you probably ended up is alpha range, so you should be good there.

Never used that yeast, but in my experience with S-04 I don't mind it running warm (75°f). But they are different strains so take that with a pinch of salt.

Ive never used that combination of hops but the timings look good.

Back