Looking for simple mead recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for just over a month, and brewing wine as well, and thought I would try my hand at mead. I am looking for a recipe that is simple, fairly inexpensive, tastes good (read: not too much like wine), and can be scaled to a small 1-gallon batch.

I want to make 1 gallon to see how I like it and if it proves to be good, I can make a much larger batch. Could I ferment in a 1-gallon distilled water jug or would I need something "fancier"?

Thanks to any who are willing to help!!

I am going to try my FIRST mead this weekend. I will be using a glass 1 gallon carboy. This recipe was taken from somewhere on this site..
3 lb.honey ( I will be using a wildflower honey)
1 Gal. water
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 packet red star Cote Des Blancs wine yeast
plus a yeast energizer...

I know some SCA type sites also have some interesting mead recipes too... just have to dig around for them! Good luck!

Check out JAOM or MAOM here on the site, they are basically the same recipe with differing techniques. They are both easy and inexpensive. I would highly recommend using a 1 gallon glass jug as opposed to plastic, but that is my preference.

But as the mistress said, there are tons of recipes available on here. Look around, you can always scale down to the level you want, you could always do a "show mead" which has no spices, fruits or other flavorings.

Yes JAOM is easy and cheap, but be creative. I changed my recipe and it can be found under JAOM revised. It is certainly easy and takes away all of the negative aspects about doing it the "ancient" way. Simplicity in design makes for a strong design. Yes I concure about the glass jug. They can be found in brew shops for less than 10 dollars. I am new here and to meads really, even though the amount of research I have done makes me think I am a expert (not really). I think though the basics would be the best to follow. Are you looking for sweet or dry? Are you looking to do a melomel (mead+fruit) or just straight up mead? Finally, How much time are you willing to wait? Meads are like a fine scotch or liqour and they only get better with aging. One the basic questions have been answered then its time to move into recipe territory. PM if you want... I have recipes for both a sweet and dry mead.

Dan

a plastic water jug won't work. you need glass for mead making due to the aging times.

2.5lbs of honey (real honey, not SueBee. at least pure clover honey)
1 gallon spring water
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
wine yeast

just sanitize and add it all to the jug with an airlock.

I have been brewing beer for just over a month, and brewing wine as well, and thought I would try my hand at mead. I am looking for a recipe that is simple, fairly inexpensive, tastes good (read: not too much like wine), and can be scaled to a small 1-gallon batch.

I want to make 1 gallon to see how I like it and if it proves to be good, I can make a much larger batch. Could I ferment in a 1-gallon distilled water jug or would I need something "fancier"?

Thanks to any who are willing to help!!

Try 3lbs honey/gallon, use a good varietal honey you like, say orange blossom, or clover. Use good water, use yeast nutrient & D.A.P. A food grade plastic container is fine for a primary fermenter, but I'd use glass for secondary. There are some who might say otherwise though, so the choice is ultimately up to you. Lastly, take notes & be prepared to wait. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

I use 4L Carlo Rossi wine jugs as secondaries for my wines and meads. You can drink the wine (ugh) or use it in spaghetti. I've found a few dumpster diving. A #6 stopper fits perfectly, and you're in business.

I actually like the ancient orange mead recipe, even though I'm not much for sweet wines/meads/ciders. My best friend loves it, so I make it more for her. A simple "show mead" may be exactly what you're looking for.

Back