Looking for recipe for Skunky Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I know its undesirable, but I had a friend request it. I think he had some Heineken (the OLD stuff, when it was still hoppy) sit outside of his garage too long and the hops where bitten by the light.

Well this friend also like other ... "skunky" things and he fell in love with those heinekens and requested I make a batch to match that flavor cause it paired well with his other... skunky things.

The question is this. I've heard that the skunk flavor from those lagers comes from the light exposure (in the green bottles) to the hops. Is there a way to accelerate this process? If its green glass, then is it blue light waves? Whats the actuall chemical reaction? What type of hops work best?

What makes the hops skunky?

I know most of you will tell me I'm dumb for even trying such feats, but I'm just saying for argument sakes.

Looking to brew a LePew :)

Light makes hops skunky. Direct sunlight is the fastest - bottle in clear or green bottles and leave them in the sun for a couple of days and you'll have plenty of skunk I think. I think that the hoppier the beer, the more skunk potential there is.

Taking on the skunk smell does not take long. Make up a regular batch of beer, bottle in clear or green, put in sun, wait a couple of days. It is possible to get a skunky beer while drinking it on a very hot sunny day, had one go bad in under 20 minutes while BBQing a while back.

The alpha acids in the hops decompose under UV and degrade into the same compound that a skunk releases in defense. All indications say this happens very quickly and you will have Skunkybrew LePew in a couple hours if you bottle in clear and leave them in some intense sun.

More hops = more skunk, because of the larger concentration of alpha acids.

I think someone here did a Corona clone. They bottled in Corona bottles and let them sit outside for a few hours.

Biermuncher does this with some of his beer. He just lets it sit outside.

Try a Peroni (some Italian beer...) I don't know if what we had was skunked, or it's just a skunky beer, but believe me - my experience with it fit the bill of skunk. Smell skunk, taste skunk, burped skunk all night long after one bottle.

Back