Looking for Lager Temp. Schedule with Saflager S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monathedog

Reaction score
Hi All,
First post on here, hi! I have been combing the interweb for a good temperature schedule for lagering with my dry yeast. It's my first lager and also the first time I'm using my newly constructed 'temperature controlled fermentation chamber.' However I can't find a good schedule that applies to my specific yeast. The books I have also choose to pretend lagering doesn't exist, so please entertain me...

I'm using 1 packet of Saflager S-23 dry yeast (11.5g) in ~4.5g of wort, pitched without a starter. S-23 info says ideal fermenting temperatures are 53.6-59F. I read on other forums that people experienced fruity esters when fermenting at the lower end of the scale, and the consensus on that site was to ferment on the higher side to prevent this (I know, that contradicts common knowledge...). So, I've been at 59F for 1 week now and it has been bubbling slowly but steadily until today. My questions is basically what to do next.

I had planned to let it sit for another week at this temp, then re-rack and bring it up to 65F for a diacetyl rest for 24-48 hours. Then I'd bring it down to 55F and decrease the temp by 5 degrees each week to about 35F and let it sit for a total time (primary+secondary) of 12 weeks.

As I said, this is my first experience with lagering. The mash was all grain, with about 10.5lb of fermentables. Please share your experiences with me to help develop the schedule for this bad boy. Thanks in advance!

I think that is a good plan, except after 75% fermentation, I would bring temp up 10 degrees over previous ferm temp, for a diacetyl rest, then lower slowly.

Thanks for the feedback! So if I've been fermenting at 59F I should raise it up to 69F for 1-2 days for the diacetyl rest. That seems like a pretty warm temperature but I suppose as long as it is only there for a day or two it wouldn't contribute any off flavors. I'll bring the temp up tonight (after 1 week of fermentation) to begin resting it.

Thanks again!

If it is around 80% done then it is time to ramp up your temp for your D rest from what I have read.

I have a Red Raspberry lagering on S-23, as well as an amber lager on S-23.I used two packs of yeast in each batch, rehydrated and pitched after the wort had cooled in the fridge. The yeast was a little slow at first, but there were airlock bubbles after 24 hours for the red and 48 hours for the amber. Johnson Controls for sure. Primary was about 10 days at 55, D rest 36 hours at 65, then back to 55. After sampling both beers when racking to secondary, both taste good, a little yeasty still, I am lowering the temperature in the chamber two to three degrees a day to 40F. Then 2 or 3 weeks til bottle time.

I know this is an old thread, but does S-23 not like being at Lager temperatures eventually? If I did 10 days @ 55F, then D rest at 65F for 36 hours, then slowly lowered it to, say, a more standard lagering temp (35F) and held it for 3-6 weeks, would that not be ideal?

Latest posts

Back