Looking for anyone growing less common/unique/"old" hop varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yavid

Reaction score
Planning on planting a few hop Rhyzomes this coming spring and I'd like to plant something a little different than the usual varieties. Anyone out there growing a variety that is rare, uncommon or perhaps just "old"? I'd like to find something unique to use in fresh hop beers. Basically just looking for any recommendations/info from other hop growers. May also be interested in buying a couple rhyzomes for varieties that interest me.

Hello Canada! If different is what you are looking for- check out Varieties like Challenger, Canadian Red vine, Horizon, Perle, Santiam, Viking, or Vojvodina. All have distinct profiles and come from lines of Zattler, Savalof, Saxon, etc. Not exactly your run of the mill 4C's.

You could talk with Nicholas Schaut in Ontario - he has access to some different ones and he even has a native hop he is cultivating. @ [email protected]

It would not be a named variety but if your just looking for something different/unique then you might try growing from seed. I'm getting some from a heirloom grower next month, but it has no name that I know of.

Back