Looking for an extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
I have only done AG for the last two years, however I am moving in mid July and I am looking to make an extract recipe with the leftover ingredients I have.
Probably going to go full boil, I have 3.3lb of light LME, a variety of fuggle, crystal, sorachi ace, williamette and a few other hops in .5oz quantities, I have some flaked oats and thats pretty much it. I am probably leaning towards an IPA or RyePA and am looking to experiment a little bit; nothing to lose on this and just looking for something fun. Planning on a continuous addition of the hops all mixed up.

Any recommendations for some sort of grain/steeping bill?
By the way I will be shipping my gear across the country so all I have left is a 2G glass jug.

Any other funky suggestions send them my way, however I have just done a grapefruit IPA and a maple bacon cream ale so I was thinking of foregoing the food-additions on this one.

what grains do you have ?

... you have a lot of cool hops, so dry hopping like four hops would be cool. go for a light beer in the malt category.

btw, if you make a 2 gallon batch, that much LME will yeild 5.6% alcohol. with good grains maybe 6%

OG1.058
FG1.014
Color5.5° SRM
Efficiency75%

looks perfect for an IPA

what grains do you have ?

... you have a lot of cool hops, so dry hopping like four hops would be cool. go for a light beer in the malt category.

btw, if you make a 2 gallon batch, that much LME will yeild 5.6% alcohol. with good grains maybe 6%

OG1.058
FG1.014
Color5.5° SRM
Efficiency75%

looks perfect for an IPA

Beauties. Sounds good and I could turn it around pretty quick. I have no grains at all. I just wanted to use what I have on hand and pick up as little as possible. Thinking maybe .5lb of carapils and 0.5 of a caramel 40. Probably gonna go notty or us-05 for a clean and quick ferment.

I gotta say I am super happy with how this turned out.

Used .5lb of caramel 80 and 0.5lb of flaked Quaker oats I had left over.

Mixed all the hops together (4oz total of 0.5 each of an assortment of fuggle, crystal, sorachi ace, williamette, cascade, EKG and either Saaz or centennial).

Added a pinch and a half FWH, another pinch and a half at 60, and then every few minutes I would sprinkle bits in from 25-flameout and dumped everything in at flameout. No dry hops.

The strangest combination of aromas are going on. Tons of earthy and tropical fruits with hints of spice. From the description it sounds like it is too busy but the layers work great together. Too bad it will be impossible to replicate! Fun at the very least.

Also, OG - 1.06, FG 1.009. so 6.69% abv in the end.

Back