Looking for a "Vinnie Nail" or substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therainmaker

Reaction score
From what I've gathered, you have to buy these in larger quantities. If anyone has a few extra, I'll gladly pay shipping and whatever they cost.

If anyone knows of a substitute at home Depot or Lowes, please share!

Thanks!

I checked though those but I believe those are all larger than the 4d nail Vinnie uses. I'm guessing this size is chosen for a specific reason, so I don't want to deviate unless I have to

I checked though those but I believe those are all larger than the 4d nail Vinnie uses. I'm guessing this size is chosen for a specific reason, so I don't want to deviate unless I have to

You are overthinking this. He did not engineer a sample port. He did not triangulate the velocity of beverage to atmospheric pressure at normal temperature per volumes of carbonation. He simply needed a sample port, got a stainless steel nail, drilled a hole, and pushed it in.

It really can be THAT simple.

You are overthinking this. He did not engineer a sample port. He did not triangulate the velocity of beverage to atmospheric pressure at normal temperature per volumes of carbonation. He simply needed a sample port, got a stainless steel nail, drilled a hole, and pushed it in.

It really can be THAT simple.

I assumed the hole size had something to do with how much it flowed when the nail was removed

I assumed the hole size had something to do with how much it flowed when the nail was removed

Sure there is a correlation, bigger hole equals more flow. But, again, it is just a sample port so the litres per minute doesn't mean anything.

He did say that occasionally the flow would stop because the keg is not vented. But, again, all he needed was a sample.

4D = 1.5"
A 4D nail is 1.5" long and is generally a #12 but the "D" size is a nails length starting with 2D (1") and increasing 1/4" for each additional "D"

4D = 1.5"
A 4D nail is 1.5" long and is generally a #12 but the "D" size is a nails length starting with 2D (1") and increasing 1/4" for each additional "D"

Ah, excellent to know. I'm not handy by any stretch. Thought it had something to do with diameter

Any size will work (within reason). Just drill your hole to be 1/64th smaller than your nail is. The last thing you want to be is trapped in a basement with your thumb on a larger hole screaming for help (almost been there!). I use the smaller nails but only because someone was nice enough to mail me several.

Just don't buy annular threaded 316 stainless steel nails like you use for boat floors...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back